Chapter 44 Special

"So , are we just going to ignore the elephant in the room?" I said looking up at Marco while tracing my finger across his bare chest.

"I ,uh... what are you talking about ?" He said nervous while a giggle escaped my lips. He was sure good at acting oblivious in certain situations where it suited him.

"I think you know pretty well what I'm talking about." I teased watching him tense under my touch. Of course he had no idea what I was talking about. He never had any clue when it came to this types of things. I mean , he didn't the first time so what would make this time any different?

"Look , did I do something wrong ? Do I need to go buy some apology jewelry?" He asked all nervous sitting up while I couldn't suppress my laugher anymore.

"Some jewelry would be nice but no , you didn't do anything wrong. Emilio and Mario's 6 month birthday is coming up which is also Dante's 1 and a half's . So what are we going to do to celebrate?" I said watching him blow out a breath. 

"I guess we can have a party tonight. Would that make you happy ?"

"Oh , that would make me very happy." I said laughing before running into the bathroom.

The thing is , it's not about the party that I'm excited about but more so having a reason to have a party. I didn't want to just host a party cause I felt like it - even though I could if I really wanted to - but I felt a reason gave everyone the idea that it was kind of mandatory for them to attend. Makes it more fun.

Grabbing Dante from his room , I carry him down to the kitchen before doing the same with Emilio and Mario. I placed all three of them into their high chairs while starting on their breakfast. A lot of the time I dreaded mornings. The fast paced , rush of everyone, the million things on my to-do list I had to finish , but not today. Today was different. You could even say today was , special.

"Something smells good in here" Frankie said -inhaling the air - and taking a seat at the counter followed by Tom and then by Dom.

"Yup. Just making some scrambled eggs and bacon. You want some ?" I asked with a smile before placing the hot plated food infront of them .

"I never turn down food." Frankie said - practically drooling - while he helped himself.

"Thanks." Tom said doing the same , but with more swag and manners .

"I'll just grab a pop tart " Dom said making Tom and Frankie look at him like he grew a second head for turning down bacon .

"Okay. " I said going back over to the boys and giving them their breakfast too. I sat infront of them -eating my own - while I watched Dante gnaw on a piece of bacon while his brothers seemed to have managed to get more eggs on the floor than in their actual mouths. Sometimes I wonder who they're most like, but then I see Marco eating ice-cream like a toddler - all over his face - and I know exactly who they're like.

"So ," I said turning back to the - grown up- boys as I clapped my hands  together. "Party tonight. Who's coming ?"

"Party? What's the occasion ?" Dom asked taking his seat again.

" It's like a half birthday for the boys. Nothing fancy. But attendance would be highly encouraged and appreciated. " I said with a smile while hopping off of the chair.

"Sure. You know I don't need a reason to party." Frankie said through a mouthful of food.

"If he's in. I'm in." Tom said putting his plate into the sink.

"Count me in too." Dom said before all three of them left to go do whatever it was that they did together. 

"Yay !" I said clapping my hands together in excitement - even though there was no one else around that could see me do that , or that the babies had any clue what that meant- as I started cleaning up .

After loading the dishwasher and putting the twins down for a nap , I took Dante out on the deck with me while I started making calls for tonight. I watched him crawl - and trying to stand up against things - while he made his way around the yard. When he started to become more mobile , Marco thought it was a good idea to invest into a gate for the pool to avoid any baby drownings which made my heart more at ease. I wanted out children to be able to grow up outside for as long as they could. I didn't want them to become another self -isolated zombie to technology , I wanted more for them.

"Don't go too far!" I yelled out to Dante while I wrote down the plans for tonight before feeling Marco's presence behind me.

"I won't. " he said with a smirk , I'm sure. I couldn't imagine him saying it any other way.

"Hey , everything is ready for tonight." I said excited closing the book.

"Great. Now do you wanna tell me the real reason for tonight cause I'm sure we  never did half birthdays before. " he said with a smile , sitting next to me on the deck swing.

"No. It really is. I'm... trying to start new traditions that's all."

"Uh huh. You know Alice , I've come to know when you're lying. And this is it. So just spare yourself the lies and tell me." He said cheekily with a smile.

"Okay fine !  I just want a reason to party. If I don't have a reason it'll look like I'm pathetic or bored or something . But is that so bad?" I said in one breath as I watched his smile reaching his ears. He knew he just defeated me and that made my loss even worse.

"No. Enjoy the party. " he said giving me a kiss before going back to work. Blowing out a sigh I layed back unto the swing, kicking my feet aimlessly as I watched Dante crawl around the garden before realizing I had absolute NO TIME to sit back and relax.

"Dante , let's go !" I yelled , running towards him and putting him down for a nap too .

By the time all of the food has arrived I was the only one who still had to get ready. "You're going to miss your own party that you so badly wanted to have." Marco said , leaning on the door while I struggled to put my earrings on.

"I'm almost done. Promise. Are the boys downstairs yet ?" I asked while he walked over to me and helped me with my pointless struggle.

"Everyone is there except us love." He said with a hearty laugh making me more calm.

"Good ?" I asked while he stepped back.

"Perfect. Now let's go ." He said laughing some more. He was sure cheery for someone who didn't even want this party in the first place. My face lit up as I saw all three boys in their high chairs on stage while everyone in the crowd pulled faces and made them laugh , before we arrived and it went dead quiet.

"The stage is yours." Marco said while he helped me up the step out of courtesy .

"Thanks. Actually, can you stand next to the boys please? " I asked while he didn't need another reason to be with us.

"Thank you all for coming to a party that may seem pretty pointless and irreverent. Trust me , I really appreciate you all for keeping up with everything I've done. " I said making them all quietly laugh - not sure if they should or if Marco would kill them for it - as I smiled looking over at him.

"As most of you have probably figured by now, this isn't just a celebration of their half birthdays. I , just wanted to hold this get together and have us all gathered here. As a family. " I said with a nervous smile while I blew out an anxious breath, putting a strand of hair behind my ear. I looked over at the crowd all waiting patiently and then I looked over at my perfect little family all staring at me while Marco urged me to continue. In this moment these people were the people I appreciated having in my life the most. They've been here with me through the ups and the downs , the good and the very bad, the births and the near deaths. These people were my family now and forever and I didn't see that until now. I now more than ever never wanted to lose any of them . I faced the crowd again , stepping into the light saying ;

"I'm pregnant "

That's it ! I know it seems cliche cause let's be honest , Marco just doesn't learn his lesson !? Am I right? But the epilogue is up next and I've had the end planned out way before all of this so I knew right of the bat I wanted them all to be close in age -for reasons only clear in the next chapter - but thank you all so much for reading. Remember to leave your thoughts in the comment section below. Until next time keep howling my wolves ❤🐺