Chapter 23 Trouble

"What's that all about ?" Frankie asked while we slowly followed in their direction  .

"That , was Lucas. He was my best friend. The one I thought was... dead. "

"Wow , that's... I don't even know. How was that possible?" He said trying to sound supportive while we walked through the crowd.

"I have no idea... I mean I attended his funeral for crying out loud ! How ...how is this even -"

"You need to calm down Alice. Marco will kill me if something happend to you. Not even to mention his heir. Take a breath." He said while I took a deep breath, hoping Marco had better luck than I did.

*Marco's POV*

"Come on ! Don't make me do something I'll regret. Alice just wants to talk to you." I said walking through the alleyway while keeping my hand on the gun in my pocket. After he ran out of the fair this was where I saw him last. There was no way he could've passed me so he must be in here some where.

"Lucas come on !" I yelled again hearing nothing as I turned the corner hearing the puddle under my boots splash.

"She just wants to talk!" I yelled out and just as those words left my mouth I heard him before I saw him. He pushed a barrel over taking off into a sprint as I did the same. If he thought he could out run me , he had another thing coming. He had no idea who he was dealing with.

He weaved through the crowds in the fair again as I decided I had enough with his game of cat and mouse . I was the one calling the shots here.

"Frankie?" I said as I heard Alice trying to talk to me from the background. "He's heading towards the ferris wheel. I'm tailing him , I need you to cut him off. " I said before  ending the call and picking up my speed.

Seeing him grow out of places to turn I knew I had him. I picked up my pace even more before tackling him to the ground , right before Frankie and Alice showed up.

*Alice POV*

"Marco!? Are you okay?" I said helping him up while Frankie held Lucas.

"Yeah I'm good. Are you?" He said trying to inspect me for some sort of injury though I had no idea what he thought he was going to find.

"Yeah I'm fine. Thanks by the way." I said placing a kiss to his lips .

"We should go somewhere private." He said walking us to the car followed by Frankie and Lucas.

"You sure this is a good idea ?"

"No. But I need to know why he faked his death. He was like a brother to me. You can understand that right?" I said while he unlocked the front door for us.

"Of course I can. But at any moment this gets too much for you, just say the word okay. I don't need you stressing out over this alright ?" He said pleading with his eyes as I gave him a reassuring smile while we walked down to the basement where Lucas and Frankie were waiting for us.

"Alice !? Please you got to help me !" He said struggling against the restraints , reminding me of myself.

"Can we cut him loose maybe?" I said towards Marco as he gave me an 'are you sure ' look.

"I trust him Marco. " I said pleading while he gave the okay to Frankie making Lucas rub his wrists.

"Thanks." He said while Frankie didn't move behind him and neither did Marco from my side. He couldn't get away even if he wanted to.

"How are you here ?" I said carefully walking closer to him as Marco stood closer in a protective manner.

"Wow , you're... really pregnant. Congratulations. "

"Don't avoid my question Lucas. I went to your funeral. Cried for days ! " I said starting to grow upset.

"And I'm really sorry about that Alice. But I didn't have a choice. "

"That's nonsense! You always have a choice Lucas!"

"But I really didn't. Hear me out . Please." He said while I walked over to Marco letting him calm me down with his embrace as I listened to him talk.

"The day I was supposed to meet you at the coffee shop, I got a text. It uh... I had some trouble with the wrong group of people and I had to get away and start over. So I moved here , changed my name and got a job . Believe me when I say it's not been easy on me either. I never meant to hurt any of you. " he said leaving me with a dozen other unanswered questions.

"Who did you get into trouble with ?" Marco asked releasing me as he walked closer to him.

"Stop. That tattoo. You're one of them." He said panicked trying to get away while Frankie kept him down.

"One of who ? What are you talking about?" Marco asked confused as I walked over to his side.

"What do you mean Lucas?" I said softly showing him I was still on his side.

"The guy that wanted to kill me. He had the same scorpion tattoo that you have. " he said scared as I could see none of this rang a bell to either Marco or Frankie.

"What did you do ? What did he look like? Maybe we can help ?" Marco suggested while Lucas shook his head.

"I don't want anymore help from your people." He said while I looked over at Marco asking him to trust me, while I walked over to Lucas.

"Look at me Luke , it's me. I trust Marco with my life . You can tell us. We want to help you." I said while I watched his eyes bounce between me and Marco before he blew out a breath.

"A while ago I saw something I wasn't supposed to by accident. This guy caught me and said if I didn't help him deliver something - I assumed it was drugs- he would kill me . So I agreed , helped him with some things until I couldn't take it anymore -"

"Was anyone else with you ?" Marco interrupted as Lucas shook his head.

"No. It was always just the two of us."

"What happend next ?" I said getting back to the point.

"I told him I wanted out and he said I was in too deep and that my hands were already dirty. So I threatened to tell the cops and that's when he sent me that text while I was on my way to the coffee shop. "

"What did it say ?" I said while he handed the phone to me while I read it out loud.  "You're dead." I said while I gave the phone back to him.

"That's why I left my car and ran."

"But they found a body in your car. Burned beyond recognition. "

"Must've been someone trying to steal it. " he said while I still tried to think all of this over .

"What do you think? Is he telling the truth?" I said pulling Marco to the side .

"I think so. There's been some rumours in the gang for a while now that someone's been making rogue deliveries. But until now they were just rumours." Marco said looking over at Lucas. "Do you think we can trust him ?" He said while I looked into his eyes.

"I've always trusted him." I said while that was all he needed to hear before walking over to him saying ; "Okay, so this is what's going to happen next."

That's it ! I'm not good with this whole action thing plus I had a little break from this so I'm not exactly in my zone yet. But I'm getting the hang of it. Thank you so much for reading. Remember to leave your thoughts in the comment section below. Until next time keep howling my wolves ❤🐺