Chapter 4 Down hill

I haven't talked, or ate not even to mention move since I last saw him. Time seemed to be immaterial around here. Was it day ? Night? I had no idea how much time has passed and how long I've been kept here. Hearing the hushed voices outside the door , I bend my neck to the side to hear more clearly as they spoke ;

"You can't expect her to be their leader if you keep on treating her like a prisoner. " the first voice said , spiking my attention.

"And I won't for much longer... hopefully. Look , I don't have to explain myself to you so just do as I say." I heard his voice followed by him walking in and slamming the door shut, as I sat up straight again.

"I hope you're ready to cooperate cause it's killing me to keep you locked up in here." He said , folding his arms across his chest.

"Oh yeah ? Then why don't you just let me go !?"

"I will. But you know the terms of that happening. So , have you decided yet?"

"You mean , have I decided if I wanted to be kept hostage by you for the rest of my life or be your pet ? No. I haven't. " I said, really wishing I could fold my arms across my chest to prove my point and distaste right now.

"You're not making this any easier on yourself Alice. " he said , letting a sigh out .

"Well , back at ya."

"Look , I don't want to keep you here . I don't want to imprison you either. I'd much rather you cooperate and agree to my terms so we can forget this ever happend and get to know eachother a little better. "

"Are you mad !? You really think I'll 'forget' this ever happened? No way ! And I'll NEVER love you. "

"Suit yourself. " he said , walking out the door again and as soon as he did ,I started to regret that I didn't just agree to his stupid terms . Atleast then I would've had a better chance of escaping than being tied down here. I tried calling out to him saying that I changed my mind but who was I kidding ? He wasn't even near here . No one knew about me and no one could help... I was all alone and it was all my fault.

"Marco?" I tried again through tears and my raspy voice.

Nothing.

"Marco ? I'm sorry...okay ?" I tried again , yet my attempts seemed to be failing as my energy was starting to grow fewer. "I'm really sorry..." I said in a whisper before my head fell forward and I lost all feeling in my body. It was like I was in a dream...every sight infront of me seemed blurry as if they were floating and the voices sounded far away as he rushed over to me and called out my name.

"Alice!?" I didn't respond. I was literally and figuratively numb. I couldn't move , I couldn't talk, I could barely open my eyes to see him lift me into his arms and carry me out. "We'll get you better, I promise." I heard him say before his lips touched my forehead , sending a stinging sensation through my body like an electric pulse. The rest fell into an ugly blur as I woke up in a soft white bed with no memory of the last 2 hours.

"Where am I ?" I asked  disoriented, putting my hand on my head as it started pounding like crazy.

"Alice ! Sit back baby , you're going to be okay." Marco said ,rushing over to me.

"You did this !" I said , trying to hit him only for my hand to be ripped back by the IV in my arm.

"We can talk later. For now , just rest. " He said pushing me back down on the bed as he sat across from me.

"No ! We are going to talk now." I said sitting back up.

"Alice -"

"No . I'd like to hear what you have to say for yourself." I said folding my arms across my chest as I stared him down. He didn't say a word. "Talk !" I yelled growing tired of never receiving a straight answer from him.

"What do you want from me !? Huh !? For me to say I'm sorry ? That I'm sorry I almost killed you, lost the only person worth living for ? Cause I am. I'm fricking sorry Alice ! Okay ?" He said sounding actually sincere while he turned away from me.

"Marco , I... " I said trying to reach for him.

"It's fine Alice. You don't have to say anything ." He said walking to the door. " I'll let someone bring you something to eat." He said before he walked out. I know that I should be mad at him right now and I had every reason to be. But I couldn't help but feel sorry for him... sorry that this was who he was...

I ate a bowl of fruit, a cheeseburger and some ice-cream short after he left. The people who helped me seemed to look scared ... scared of me. I tried to act nice and reassure them but they just forced a smile until they left my sight again. It made me even more curious as to what was going on here and why I was a part of it. You would've thought I had learned my lesson the first time but yet , I couldn't contain myself. After the lady left , I winced as I pulled the IV out before walking over to the window first.

Pulling back the curtains I see a bunch of men dressed in the same leather jacket Marco wore as they circled a table , all hovering over it. I tried to see what was going on but it was only when they all pulled back that the hair on the back of my neck stood up. There they were , all surrounding a pile of money each with a gun . I gasped ,clasping my hand over my mouth as their eyes instantly shot up to mine making my knees grow weak. They all looked back stepping aside as Marco looked me dead in the eyes , making me stumble backwards and fall on the ground. I crawled over to the door only to find it locked as I contemplated what my next move was going to be. Deciding to take a last peak outside , I see them all gone as I turned back around confused,bumping into his hard chest.

"M-marco, I can explain." I said backing up into the corner.

"Alice , I was going to tell you" he said moving closer.

"Tell me what ? I didn't see anything. "

"I didn't want you to find out this way." He said trying to approach me.

"Seriously,I didn't see anything. "

"I know you saw us Alice . I saw you. And I'm not mad. It's just... this wasn't how I was planning on telling you." He said stopping in his tracks as I blew out a breath. "Can we talk about it ?"

"Do we have to ?" I asked , side stepping him only to see the two guys - who opened the door to me when I came here - stepping in my way to the door while I rerouted back to the bed.

"I'd like to really much. "

"Fine!" I said while he told them to leave us.

He then started telling me that he was in an Italian mafia. More like he was the boss of it. And he needed a strong female leader - me- to help him lead them. I objected and said he was crazy that this made no sense and... it kind of all went down hill from there.

I'm ending it here. Thank you so much for reading. Remember to leave your thoughts in the comment section below. Until next time, keep howling my wolves 🐺❤