Chapter 25- Aftershock

Depuis le début

I pressed my lips together as she downturned her head.

"What caused this addiction Mrs Cooper?"

"Nothing, I've always been like this. My alcoholism destroyed my family and I continue to let it. My husband and daughter left me. Daniel pitied me. He believed I could change and that was why he stayed. And all I did was to disappoint him always. Normally I wouldn't care if he saw me like this but today I do. I want to be clean for him."

"And you can be." I nodded in encouragememt. She burst into an inappropriate laugh. "We all hit rock bottom sometimes but it doesn't mean we should stay down. I've been through a lot myself. But both of us have one thing in common."

"And what's that?" She gave a quixzical smile.

"I'm holding on for my father and brother. You're trying for your son. Just think about how happy he'll be. Even better how happy your daughter will be."

"She wants nothing to do with me." Her face gave a slack expression.

"She will if she sees how you've truly turned yourself around."

She remained quiet like processing everything I'd said. "Thank you Mia. You're a good woman."

"You're welcome. Now let's you ready for your son."

"Let's do it."

I flipped the open sign to closed. She used the bathroom in the supermarket. Luckily she had more clothes so I sieved through and brought the perfect dress for a mother-son date. Okay that's not the right thing to say, at all.

When we were done and she gazed at herself in the mirror, she was enraptured with joy and satisfaction.

"Thank you." She whispered the umpteenth time.

I scrambled out into the supermarket and my eyes fell on the back of a fine gentleman. He had the body of athlete. Perfectly in good shape and sturdy. When he spun, I almost screamed. There was no doubt he was Daniel, Mrs Cooper's son. The resemblance was uncanny. Which was also in his favor, because it saved him from the NYPD ass kicking I was about to give him.

"Hi, you are Mrs Cooper's son?" I curved my brows.

"That obvious huh, or my mother has been talking about me." His eyes crinkled at the corners, giving him a baby face that moment.

"Well, the resemblance is wild."

"Terribly true." He stifled back a laugh. "And you are?"

"Mia North."

"Daniel Cooper, but then you already know that." He extended an outstretched hand and I took it.

"Daniel." Mrs Cooper's voice went bubbly.

"Mama, you look stunning." Daniel slapped the table, doubling over with mirth, he raised his mother in a floating embrace.

Daniel really loved her. I now understood her frustration earlier.

"You ready for our day together." He asked.

"I am. So good to see you." Mrs Cooper held his face. She mouthed a note of gratitude in my way and I elevated my chin. I was proud of myself.

Yes, I didn't expect her to completely quit alcohol. It was a good sight she was sober and will be for at least a day.

They evacuated the shop, and I was delighted as an arsonist watching a bonfire.

****

I closed from the supermarket late. I waited till Mrs Cooper and Daniel returned. The whole ride home, their smiles were flooding in my head. Who knew, maybe from henceforth, I would  work at Clayton's and be happy.

I crept into the house like a thief of the night. It was seven thirty. Guilt kicked me hard in the guts when I realized I was now coming to prepare dinner for my family.

I hung my bag on the bag rack, I had bought a few days ago. The living room was empty. It made me a little suspicious. No Papa, no Jay.

I opened papa's door and found him in a deep slumber. I made the trinity sign and went to the kitchen. The ingredients available were just right for the preparation of meatloaf.

In a haste to get the meal ready on time, I made have added excessive salt and spice. I rolled my eyes irritably. There was no way Jay would eat this. Papa would because he wouldn't want to hurt my feelings. Now I'd have to listen to Jay's tutorial on how to cook for the rest of the night.

"Mia." Papa called out to me.

"Papa, I'm so sorry. I just finished dinner but it's little salty because I was in a such rush." I rapped.

"Where's Jay?" He asked instead. Great, he didn't care I'd prepared him a sweet bowl of hypertension.

"I haven't seen him. Maybe he's in his room, also sleeping."

"Or maybe he's not back."

"Back from?" I blinked.

"Well he returned from school and asked to go to the arcade with a couple of his friends."

"Aww, he made friends." I clutched my heart and smoothed my forehead. Finally, he was building his social skills.

"Yes but it's... eight now. He should be back by then. I'm putting him on curfew."

"Yes." I let out a chuckle. "But he's made friends now, Papa. That's great news. I always imagined him being alone and cranky."

Papa responded with a snort. "Me too."

"Let me serve your dinner." I glided to the kitchen and placed his plate on the table. With his new pair of hands, Papa could now adjust his arm to his mouth.

I ran upstairs, showered, spoke with Alan for a short time, then trod back to the living room. It was eight fifteen and Jay hadn't still showed up.

Papa was getting paranoid. I was giddy because he had made friends.

"He should be home now. It's a school night." Papa bared his teeth.

"He should." I said in a bored undertone, pretending to be on his side as I switched TV channels. I didn't understand why Papa was flaring up just because a teenage boy decided to stay out late. It wasn't like he was doing drugs. I managed to keep him calm by tuning in to some comedy show.

Then my phone vibrated. I reached for it. It displayed an unknown number.

"Hello Mia. This is Amber, from the hospital. You___"

"Amber, hey what's up?" I faced Papa who had raised a brow.

"Mia, you need to get here immediately. Jay has been rushed in. He's been knocked down by ____"

The phone dropped to the floor before she completed her sentence.

"Mia, what is it?"

Unable to speak, I turned to him with an unblinking stare.

That couldn't be possible.