[4]

Antonio's POV

"Ellie you barely ate anything" I said in a fatherly way.

I was giving myself surprises.

Usually I don't care about how much a person eats, no less a child.

she didn't respond but continued to stare at the ground as if it was the most fascinating thing to look at.

"I just got a call back from the doctor he told that he wants to meet with you" I explained then I saw her loosen up.

My heart clenched at the sight of her, she doesn't deserve living a abusive life,
I most definitely will go out for dinner with her.

I gently picked her up and I got into the elevator and walked into the underground parking, i placed her in the backseat, and realized that I need to buy a car seat as well,
sat her in the back.

Antonio do you know what you are saying? My other conscience says.

I decided that I would take her in, the systems wasn't the best, what is wrong with me? I just met this child, and yet.. she's captivating me, it's as if I knew her my whole life.

We made it to the Manhattan Family Practice.

I parked the car as I helped her out the seat and i held onto her with my left hand as we made it into the clinic.

"Ah. Mr. Smith what brings you here?" the receptionist asked.

"I am here to meet with Dr. Cortez" I responded.I noticed the young one standing rather closer to me, somehow, the gesture alone made my heart swell.

"Of course" The receptionist said and rung Dr. Cortez.
"Room 203" the receptionist answered giving me winks that was more like seizures it seemed.

walking towards his office, I noticed that Ellie wasn't able to keep with my strides, so just for the sake of time, i opened my arms for her to climb into, it was a challenge to open the door while supporting her bum with my arms.

"Dr. Cortez" I said setting Ellie onto a chair.
"Mr. Smith regarding your questions earlier. I've dug up more information on Miss Ellie" Doctor Cortez said. "Alright. Send me the documents later but do some full body examination on Ellie" I instructed.
"Very well." Doctor Cortez said.

"Miss Ellie may you go sit on the bed?" Dr. Cortez continues and points to the clinic checkup beds.
Seeing that she was small Dr. Cortez began to pick her up but then Ellie ran towards me.

I almost 'awwed' aloud, but I held myself, I never met with someone who felt safe around me, and would blindly trust me.

"so, it appears the child doesn't like physical contact or to be touched" Dr. Cortez says, jotting away with his notebook.

out of instinct, I picked her up and began to place her on the bed,
"Ellie, this doctor is going to make sure you are healthy okay?" I softly explained while Dr. Cortez was getting the blood pressure ready.

"I'll be right here when he does this okay?" the fatherly side of me which I never knew existed came and took over.

Then Ellie nodded and put her arm out for Cortez to see her blood pressure.
About a few moments later.

"It seems her blood pressure are normal" he said putting it into the computer.

"Miss Ellie you did very well. Now time to check your body" He says.

But I saw Ellie begin to tremble.

"He won't hurt you, remember I'll be here?" I coaxed.

the child nodded her head as Cortez begins to slowly lift her shirt.

He was horrified to see such bruises on a young girl.

He grabbed his stethoscope.

"Now breathe" he directed.

About half an hour later...

"She is in good health. But it seems that she has underdevelopment issues" Dr. Cortez explains

Developement issues? That explains why she doesn't look 5 years old.
"Is she mentally undeveloped?" I asked.

"No sir. She has a mind of 5 year old. But her physical appearance is the issue" Dr. Cortez says. 

"Thank you" I said.

Ellie still had a sullen face on.

"Ellie are you okay?" I asked.

She nodded her head.

I usually don't really care what people are feeling but for some reason this child has captured my heart.

We left the clinic and Ellie was given a lollipop for her cooperation.

"Ellie let's celebrate" I said and I pulled into a average restaurant.

"Mr. Smith I-I sorry" Ellie said.

I was mind blown, she had said her very first sentence, this makes me so happy that I was swelling from being proud, normally she would speak in one word at a time,

I had finished parking the car when she said that.

"Why are you apologizing?" I questioned and I looked back at her.

"B-because I'm a burden" she said. Another sentence.

I was getting somewhere with her.

"Ellie, I don't think you are a burden at all. Matter of fact you've made my life more wonderful" I replied.

Then I saw a smile on Ellie's face.

It was a first time meeting her she smiled.
her smiled, captured me again, I never wanted to see her sad, so right then I knew that she was the one that I would care and love.

"Let's grab some dinner okay?" I unbuckled her seatbelt then I carried her into the restaurant.

There was some noisy children running around.
I made it up to the front desk.

"Welcome to Rio's Pizzeria" The lady with a apron on said.
"A table for two please" I said I was still holding Ellie.

She was looking around.

"Right this way." the woman said.

"The server will be with you." she said and left.

The server did come soon after the woman left. "A highchair for the young one" I said.
"Oh yes I am sorry" The blonde server said and grabbed a high chair from behind the little storage area.

As the server came back with the high chair I placed Ellie onto it.
"Would you like anything to drink?" the server asked.

"I would like water" I said then I turned to Ellie.
"Ellie what is it that you want to drink?" I asked.

She didn't reply, so she simply pointed at me

"The little one will have water too" I said.

I've observed that she is less talkative when strangers around.

Dr. Cortez had said so.

I opened the kids menu and I looked through it with Ellie.
She had pointed the to marconi and cheese.
The server came back with our drink.
I came back home to having a child, what else is life going to give me?

edit: 4.19.21 -grammatical transition

edit: 10.31.22