Chapter 53

Five days later
Hayden's POV

I bit on my bottom lip nervously as my grip tightened on the edge of the leather chair I was sitting in. I stared down at my legs dangling off of the edge, more than a foot away from the ole tiled floor. The sickening sterile smell filled my nose, making me shut my eyes.

I hated everything about being at the doctors, even worse the hospital. The smell made my stomach turn the second I walked into the building. There was just a lot of bad memories here, so it made me extremely anxious to be  back.

Today was just my usual check up, making sure my blood levels were good and that treatment was going smoothly as planned. But the thought of being here, stressed me to my core. I was lucky enough that Shawn was able to come with me so I wasn't by myself. My mom usually liked to, but she could only take off from work so much.

I watched Shawn as he paced around the room curiously, reading over all the posters and pamphlets around the space. He didn't seem to mind being here, he seemed more intrigued than anything. Shawn always wanted to be kept in the loop with what was going on with me, so he was more than happy to step up when my mom couldn't come.

"I don't think this is to scale," Shawn said curiously, reaching forward to touch one of the 3D heart displays on the counter. I closed my eyes, barley able to focus on his words as my heartbeat felt like it reached my ears. My breath was shaky as it left my nose, but I couldn't help it. I just wanted to leave.

"Hey..." Shawn spoke softly into the quiet space. He made his way over to me, cupping my cheek before placing a kiss on my forehead. He lingered for a moment longer before brushing his hand through my hair to comfort me.

"Look at me, Hay." I opened my eyes seeing Shawn standing in front of me. "It's just a check up... we're gonna be out of here before you know it, I promise." He said softly, leaning forward to kiss my head again before pulling me into his chest. Shawn wrapped his arms around me, letting his thumb lightly brush along my bare skin that stuck out from the hospital gown.

I closed my eyes, relaxing into him as my mind wandered to our conversation from this morning,

"What's going on?" Shawn whispered, placing another kiss on the side of my neck before meeting my eyes again.

It was morning and we both were just laying in bed for a little while before my appointment, but the last few days I've been overwhelmed and filled of anxiety for today's check up. In the past, I never knew what to expect so I can't help but feel the same today.

I turned my head, looking over at Shawn for the first time since the last half hour. We've just been relaxing in the comfortable silence together, truly just enjoying being in each other's presence.

The past few days with Shawn have been amazing. We've both been getting used to the idea to being able to show our feelings towards each other whenever we want. There was no holding back from each other anymore, and it felt incredible to have him by my side.

Shawn reached his hand up, combing his fingers through my hair as he was sat up on his elbows admiring my face. "You've been awfully quiet all morning." He said, when I still didn't respond. I took in a shaky breath, biting down on my lip as I looked up at him.

"It's just been a few weeks since I've been back at the doctors. I never know what to expect and then when I hear some news, I never know whether to believe it or not." His expression softened as he gently combed his hand through my hair once again, letting his palm rest against my cheek to comfort me.