Chapter 28

Hayden's POV
Next weekend

"Mom, I'll be back in two days. It's his sisters birthday, he said it's going to be a very low key weekend with his family. You don't have to worry." I said trying to calm her down. I turned to look over my shoulder at Shawn, who was already paying for our plane tickets for Toronto.

"Do you understand that your chemo treatment is going to start kicking in. This isn't the time to being traveling Hayden! You need to tell that boy what's going on and rest, not fly to a different country." My mom complained on the other end of the phone.

It's been five days since I started treatment, my daily dose of chemo pills. I only started to notice the nausea symptoms last night, but it comes and goes.

I glanced at Shawn again but this time he was already looking over his shoulder at me, giving me a small smile from across the room. "We're boarding our flights now I have to go. I'll call you later. " I spoke into the phone so then my mom could try to relax already.

"Hayden don't-" I hung up before she could tell me not to get on the plane again. I knew this trip was bad timing but I would've canceled if I didn't feel up to it. There also was this voice in the back of my head telling me this might be my last time seeing Shawn's family.

I jumped when I felt hands on shoulders and turned around to Shawn standing behind me. "I didn't mean to scare you, is everything alright with your mom?"

I nodded, letting him put his arm around my shoulders as we walked side by side. "Yeah she just wanted to know where I left the charger. You ready?" I asked.

Shawn smiled, intertwining our hands before leading the way through the airport.

**
Once we got to Toronto, we dropped our belongings at Shawn's apartment and got dressed to have dinner with his family. I put on a pair of blue jeans, a dark navy blouse and black flats. As Shawn finished getting ready, I sat in the living room putting together Aaliyah's birthday present I bought her.

"Jeez Hayden, are you trying to make me look bad on my sister's birthday?" Shawn joked as he noticed that large gift bag placed on the couch. I rolled my eyes as I looked over my shoulder at him. He walked further into the room while buckling his belt around his jeans.

"I just wanted to surprise her. I also happen to be very fond of your sister, she's the cooler Mendes." I teased as I walked passed him and into the kitchen to get a glass of water.

"Oh really? The cooler Mendes?" Shawn said walking closer, while tucking his button up into his pants.

"You heard me," I teased. I took a sip of the water before glancing at Shawn. He had a mischievous expression on his face. But then I quickly caught on before Shawn playfully started to run after me.

"Shawn cut it out!" I yelled as I ran through the living room and jumped over the couch.

I went to run down the hall but Shawn wrapped his arms around my waist and began to tickle my sides. I couldn't control my laughter as I fell down to my knees and onto the carpet. "I take it back, I take it back!" I playfully surrendered.

Shawn sat down next to me and I couldn't help but notice the bright smile on his face. I sat up brushing my hand on his knee and leaned over to peck his lips. "You excited to see your family?"

"Yeah I am... I think I'm ready for this chapter of the tour to be over so I can put my full attention on this new album. " My smile faltered as I thought about what he's saying. He was right though, he needs to give his full attention to this album because wants to give it all he has. I couldn't keep him from that.