Chapter 32

Hayden's POV
Two weeks later

This week I was back at school. One week left until the dance and everyone was stressed to the max. I got exempted from the rest of my finals for the semester because I've missed so many classes due to doctors appointments and not feeling well during the treatments.

When I returned for practice, many of my classmates must've heard why I stopped attending and were very comforting about it. Even a few offered to help me practice for the recital on Friday. Which took me by surprise because I didn't think they even noticed me.

Owen stayed by my side all week, making sure I was practicing in a healthy way and not like I have in the past. He helped me stretch everyday, letting me know when I should be taking breaks and when I just needed to call it a day.

It was now Thursday, the day before the show and I had a million butterflies in my stomach. I felt restless picturing my family and Shawn sitting in the crowd watching me mess up.

I looked down at my phone seeing no messages and bit on my bottom lip. I haven't heard from Shawn all week due to both of our busy schedules but I just needed to hear his voice for a few minutes.

"Hey babe! What's up?" He asked sounding genuinely excited that I called.

"Hey stranger, I just wanted to hear your voice. How are you? You seem really busy this week." I spoke running my hand through my hair as I curled into the couch in my family's living room.

Shawn sighed into the phone, "We've had a lot of meetings get rescheduled for this week and a lot of problems during soundcheck. But I've squeezed it all in so I have the day off tomorrow. My flight will problaby get to JFK airport two hours before the show. I know you'll be there already but tell your family not to wait up for me cause I'll meet them there at the theater." Shawn spoke. Him mentioning the show made my stomach turn, knowing I was just bound to mess up and all day I've been nauseous.

"Okay I'll make sure they save you a seat just incase you're running late-" I started saying but Shawn cut me off.

"I wont be late. I'll be there, I promise. How are you feeling? It kind've sounds like the nerves are kicking in." He spoke sounding concerned.

Shawn didn't know what the show really meant, which wasn't his fault. This was going to be the last dance I do being a NYU student until I'm able to return for another semester. My muscles already feel tired and drained. They're just not the same from when I first started the semester. I already know it won't be my best dance but I'll be giving it everything I got left.

"A little bit... it's been a long time since I performed in front of a crowd." I spoke into the phone, letting out a shaky breath.

"You got this Hay. The show is meant to show how far you've come and the hard work you put into the semester. You should be proud of yourself... this is more like a celebration." I couldn't help but smile at his words.

"Thank you..." I said softly.

"Besides, if you get nervous you can just look at me. You know I won't be judging your dancing because you're a way better dancer than I could ever be, so I'm not one to talk. I love watching you dance, so if you get nervous just look at me, I'll be sitting with your family."

I let out another shaky sigh letting his words sink in. "All you can do is give it the best you got and we all already know that your best is amazing. So let yourself take pride in that." He continued saying.