Chapter 12

Shawn's POV

Jordan followed behind me when I walked back into Deb's apartment. My eyes frantically searched around the apartment and landed on Hayden sitting in the living room with Deb's friends. I kept my hand on the door knob as I watched Hayden had a lazy smile on her face as she listened to one of the girls, almost as if it was forced. My chest tightened as I thought about what happened last weekend in this same apartment.

"Hayden, we're leaving..." I quickly said, continuing to hold onto the door knob. Her eyes glanced at Jordan behind me and then landed back on mine. She gave us both an odd look before she stood up fixing her sweater and saying goodbye to everyone.

She then walked up to me and I could see the confusion spread across her face as I held the door open for her. Once we were outside, I gently reached down intertwining our hands before she could start walking ahead of me.

"Why did we leave?" She asked, waiting to cross the street.

"I just wanted to head home," I said softly, staring at the way the street lights were hitting against her face. I gave her hand a squeeze as my stomach started to turn, thinking about my conversation with Jordan.

"I'm sorry?! What the hell do you mean he fucking tried to take advantage of her?" I yelled as Jordan pulled me over to the corner of the the roof, behind the plants so there was no chance of Hayden hearing us .

"Why the hell hasn't anyone told me about this!" I said louder feeling the heat rush to my face. My mind was wandering in circles, now understanding why Hayden's been so distant.

"Shawn you have to calm down, she's-" Jordan started saying, looking over his shoulder to see if anyone was by us.

"Calm down?!" I yelled even louder and cutting him off. "How the hell am I supposed to calm down when she's clearly is not okay!"  I ran my hand through my hair, thinking of what was going on in Hayden's mind. I shook my head hating the thought of her driving herself crazy and not feeling comfortable enough to open up to anyone about this. 

"Jordan who the fuck is he, I swear to god I'm going to fucking kill him. I swear if I ever fucking see his face-" Jordan stopped me before I could finish my sentence. I still felt so confused and not able to understand why I was only finding out about this now.

"Stop, this is exactly what Hayden doesn't want. So you need to get yourself together and go talk to her yourself!" He said trying to calm me down.

I felt a mix of emotions run through me from the thought of what Hayden went through. Millions of questions ran through my head like, who did this to her, why wasn't I there to stop it and how couldn't I have noticed that something was extremely wrong.

Tears welled up in my eyes while my mind wandered to some of the worst thoughts. I let out a shaky breath, taking a step back from Jordan, clearing my throat and trying to pull myself together. My anger creeped back up in my chest as I asked myself why wasn't I there. I quickly kicked my foot into the outdoor chair nearby, making it tumble over with a loud crash.

"Shawn just think of Hayden, She needs you right now." Jordan said more calmer than before, realizing how upset I was.

I sniffled, wiping under my nose and nodding to him. He was right, she isn't okay and she needed me right now. I took in a few deep breaths of cold air before I going to find Hayden.

All I needed to do right now was hold her, I needed to hear her side of the story. I now understand that she needed to talk to me but didn't know how.

So I needed to make it easy for her.

I let Hayden walk into our hotel room first, before closing the door behind me. I stuffed my hands in my jean pockets as I watched her sigh, kicking her boots off her feet. She then walked up to the dresser, putting her hair up in a messy bun and started taking her jewelry off.