Chapter 18

Hayden's POV
One month later

After I received my acceptance letter I had to explain to the school why I didn't respond before the deadline. Thankfully they still accepted me into their program and I started only a few days after that. I couldn't have been happier, I was following my childhood dreams at the school I thought wouldn't accept someone like me.

But just like all schools... school is still stressful.

The first few weeks were going great. I was the newbie, still learning the ropes, but as time went on my teachers really started to expect the most from me.

"Ms. Anderson... step aside and watch the others closely," My professor said, asking me to step to the front next to her. I placed my hands on my hips, walking out of the group and standing beside the teacher.

My chest heaved up and down rapidly from practicing the routine over and over but I still was the only one not getting the steps right. My body wasn't used to dancing like this everyday like I used too. I'm out of shape compared to the other dancers in the class.

As the group went on through the routine, for the eighth time today, my professor waved me to jump in again.

"1,2,3...1,2,3..." The teacher counted loudly watching my every move. I felt her eyes glued to me making it the only thing I could concentrate on.

I tried tuning her out and focusing on my balance as I followed the routine with the rest of the class. Over the past couple of weeks, I don't think I've left a good impression for myself. After making everyone constantly start their routines over I didn't blame them if they hated me.

"Okay stop," My professor said with a loud sigh looking towards me, her hands placed on her hips. "Let's stop there for today and pick it back up tomorrow." She said as everyone walked to their bags that were lined against the back wall.

Thank god.

I said to myself, feeling the sweat drip down my spine. I walked over to my bag, taking a drink from my water bottle, still not able to catch my breath. I went to follow the rest of the class out the room but stopped shortly when I heard my name be called.

"Hayden just one minute," She spoke, her voice softer than before.

As I put my bag over my shoulder watching most of the students empty out the class.

"What's going on with you?" She said, catching me off guard.

"I've seen your submission video, I mean everyone in the board has and we were all excited to be working with you but... you're going to have to step it up." She gave me a soft smile but it soon faded as she waited for a response.

"I just don't see that girl on the tapes," She said softly looking like she really didn't want to say it but she had to. My shoulders slumped as I stared back at her just thinking about the whole board being disappointed about who they chose for their program.

"I am, I promise! I just have to work myself back into shape. I'll be better tomorrow." I said quickly, tightening my hand around my bag's strap. She smiled and nodded before turning back to the front of the room.

I turned around dumbfounded and walked towards the rest of my belongings. I pulled my converse out of my backpack and started peeling my point shoes off as my professors words replayed in my head.

"Don't worry you'll get the hang of it..." Owen said, breaking me out of my thoughts. He held his backpack strap over his shoulder and leaned against the wall next to me.

I stood up fixing my ponytail, putting my cardigan on and threw my backpack over my shoulder again.

"I suck." I stated blankly at him as I walked into the hall, knowing he would follow behind me.