Chapter 17

Hayden's POV

Three weeks later

His laugh filled the coffee shop as he squeezed our intertwined hands closer together, resting them on the table top. His smile reached his eyes as he let out a deep chuckle and then turned his attention back to me. Shawn brushed his thumb along the back of my hand again as he stared at me with an adorable grin across his face.

We sat inside of chips, avoiding the cold air on the streets, and just talked the entire night to enjoy the moment we had together before it was gone. Shawn had been preparing for the end of his tour that was in just a couple of months, right after our vacation.

While he's been focusing on his tour, I've been anxiously waiting to hear back from NYU. I should've heard back over two days ago if I was accepted into their program but the mailbox has still been empty. I tried not to think of the application anymore, every time I have I feel heartbroken all over again at thought of thinking I had a chance.

I met Shawn's eyes as I looked up from my drink. He sat across from me at our favorite table by the bookcase, sipping on his  frapachino and leaning his elbow onto the open paged book that he hasn't looked at in the last twenty minutes. My finger grazed the mug in front of me filled with hot chocolate.

"It's not funny," I uttered, hiding the smile forming on my lips. Shawn snickered leaning further on the table.

"It's adorable," He said light heartedly as he leaned forward wiping the whipped cream off of my top lip with his thumb. "You got a little something." His voice was still playful as his eyes scanned my face.

He leaned back in his chair taking a sip from his drink and then licked his lips. I turned my nose up at the thought of what's inside his cup.

"I still don't understand how you drink those things," I said to shawn as I stared at his mug that had a mountain of whipped cream on top with chocolate sprinkles.

"How is that considered coffee?" I complained as he shook his head at my words, taking another sip from his drink.

"Have you ever tried it?" Shawn said licking the whipped cream off of his lips. He lifted his drink, offering me to take a sip, but I nudged it back towards him.

"Nope I'm good, I'll stick with their perfect hot chocolate thank you very much." I said running my thumb over the chip of my mug before taking a sip. Shawn had the same smile resting on his face while he took a bite of his muffin.

"Are you guys doing okay over here?" Deb asked as she stood next to our table. Shawn's mouth was full so he gave Deb a thumbs up as I chuckled.

"We're okay, we should problaby get going soon. You guys close in ten minutes right?" I asked Deb. She nodded as she took one of our empty plates off the table.

Shawn and I both stood up, putting on our coats as Deb started to collect our mugs. Shawn put on his jean jacket over his black hoodie, while I put on my black zipper jacket.

"Where should we go now?" I asked Shawn, as he walked over from his side of the table to me.

Shawn stood close in front of me, reaching behind my neck, gently pulling my hair out from under my coat. His mind seemed to wander off somewhere else as he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. He didn't seem to be in the same playful mood as a moment ago.

"Lets go for a walk..." He said softly, his eyes finally meeting mine and I knew something was wrong. He ran his hand down my sleeve, to my hand in order to intertwine my hand in his.

His expression left an awful feeling in the pit of my stomach. I hesitated but nodded as I watched his movements carefully.

"Wait wait!" Deb yelled making us stop in our path. Shawn held the door open for me as we both turned to look at Deb running over with two of their signature hot chocolates.