Chapter 42

Shawn's POV
Two days later

This week was emotionally draining and I think Hayden felt it too. But I was happy that she seemed to be more used to the idea of me sticking around. She seemed more comfortable around me, almost like it used to be.

It took hours to calm her down once she found out about the tour. Her reaction absolutely terrfied me. Watching her gasping for air, unable to to control her breathing was excruciating to watch. So I had to step up and force her to relax or it might've led to a different situation.

After that night, Hayden and I have been spending a lot of time together. I felt like she began welcoming me into her life, realizing I was really going to stick around. We've spent the past two days just talking and catching up while we worked on puzzles to past the time. Being friends seemed easy for us, like it was second nature so it was never awkward.

Hayden still was coming to terms with the changes that have happened over the week. Me finding out about her in the hospital, insisting on staying here, canceling the tour and agreeing to the trail. She was exhausted from this week. Even if she didn't fully admit it, I could tell by the way she didn't speak much to everyone the last few days.

Yes, she still tried multiple times to convince me to reschedule the tour but we both knew I couldn't do that anymore. I needed to be here because I wanted to be. I wouldn't be able to focus on anything else if I left, so there was no point in leaving.

I took a sip from my coffee cup that I currently bought from the cafeteria of the hospital, tasting the bitter cup of coffee. But it helped because I wasn't getting the best sleep. Instead of sleeping out in the hallway, I've been sleeping in Hayden's hospital room on the couch. It felt better knowing she was just a few feet away if she needed someone.

I reached my hand up, rubbing my neck over the sore ache of sleeping on it wrong from the night before. But I would still take the couch over a hotel room if it meant I'd be closer to Hayden.

"Hey," Someone said softly, grabbing my arm to pull me aside. I gripped tighter onto my coffee cup so it didn't slip from my hands while I glanced down at Tess. Before I could say anything she reached up wrapping her arms around my neck.

"Thank you..." She whispered and I could hear the tightness in her voice like she was about to cry. I gently rubbed her back, confused as to why she was thanking me and holding on to my neck a bit too tightly.

"For what?" I️ asked, as we pulled away and I could see the smile on her face.

"Hayden asked to sign the forms for the trail this morning." She said and I physically felt the relief fall off my shoulders. I turned my gaze towards Hayden's room, the corner of my mouth raising as I thought about my words getting through to her.

"Thank you Shawn," Tess said again, patting my arm before walking over to her boyfriend who waited by the elevators for her. I watched him pull her into his arms as she seemed extremely happy before getting into the elevator to go down to the cafeteria.

She's trying.

I thought, thinking about Hayden signing the papers. I couldn't hide the smile on my face as I turned to walk towards the room. Even though I was extremely happy, I knew how terrified she must've felt to go through with it.

As I walked towards Hayden's hospital room, unable to hide the smile on my lips, Tess's words continued repeat in my head. It was all I wanted to hear since I've been back in New York.

I paused in the doorway of the room when I spotted Brian sitting with Hayden. I knew he was still in town but I didn't know he planned on visiting today. I glanced at his hand seeing it placed over hers, while their laughter both filled the room. I didn't miss it when Hayden brought her hand up to wipe her eyes before leaning back into her pillow. I couldn't help but feel curious as to what they were talking about.