Chapter 26

Hayden's POV
Two days later

"You ready?" I asked Shawn, looking at him from over my shoulder. He nodded as a big smile grew on his face. I turned the key in the lock of my new apartment and walked through the door.

"I haven't really gotten to do anything with it yet," I said glancing over the bright white room, hating the plain white walls. Shawn walked through all the rooms out of curiosity, with excitement like a child.

"This is literally you in a nutshell," Shawn spoke walking out of the bedroom that had the built in bookcase and window seat. I chuckled while leaning against the kitchen wall watching how excited he seemed about the new place.

"I'm still here for another two days... I can help you start painting." He said making his way over to me.

I scrunched my face in confusion, "You would really want to do that?"

"Of course, I can help you get things done so you could start moving your stuff in here." He spoke scanning over how much painting needs to be done.

"Besides I'm really excited for you. I remember when I bought my apartment, I loved figuring out what my taste actually is and getting to design the rooms the way I wanted them. So I want to help you make this place feel more like home." He said wrapping his arms around my waist.

I couldn't help but smile up at him, burying my head against his chest. "Why are you so amazing?" I whispered closing my eyes as I felt the warmth radiating off of him. I stood comfortably in him arms while he gently rubbed his hand up and down my back.

"I just love you a lot," He whispered placing his lips on the top of my head.

"Yeah well I love you more," I spoke hearing him chuckle. I pulled away looking up at him feeing my smile already start to fade as my thoughts started to take over again.

Once I was approved to leave the hospital, Shawn has been trying to lessen any weight off my shoulders. He didn't want me to stress myself out especially after what he believed the doctor told me.

Ever since I spoke with the doctor, I've been filled with nerves in the pit of my stomach. Thinking back to everything that's been going on the past couple of months, my guess is that the next doctor won't have good news for me.

I closed my eyes, feeling my stomach twist with anxiety once I thought about the appointment tomorrow. I was lucky enough that Shawn was able to switch around a few meetings and stay in New York for a few days. Shawn said he wanted to make sure I was still feeling okay after just getting out of the hospital.

The second I got back to New York, I explained to my parents what the doctor actually said. My mom said she would willing to come with me for support once she realized how nervous I was.

"I promised my mom I'd go out with her somewhere for a few hours tomorrow," I lied, which didn't leave a good taste in my mouth. "But you have me all to yourself the rest of the time you're here."

I wrapped my arms around his waist, not feeling the courage to look him in the eyes. His arms wrapped around my back again. "That sounds like a plan to me."

**
Shawn and I spent the rest of the night buying painting supplies. He wheeled the cart around the store behind me as I struggled to pick out the paint colors for each room. Once we got back he immediately started to help me.

We covered the hard wood floors in newspaper, set up all the paint trays and placing each can of paint in the rooms that still needed to be done. We were only two hours in and we're still working on painting the bedroom walls a light green.