Chapter 33

Hayden's POV

I finished clasping the sliver chain around my neck before I let my hair fall back down on my shoulders. The silver locket covered in pink roses rested against my bare chest, the one Shawn gave me for Christmas. I stared at it through my dresser mirror, thinking back to my conversation with Deb as we sat in Chips the other morning.

"Why do you feel like you're standing in a cross road? Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't you just let the truth unravel itself and life will take it course?" Deb said shrugging, still not understanding.

"Because this is happening whether I like it or not... But I get to decide very few things, one of them is controlling who is involved as I get through the next couple of months. Which is why the less people I tell, the more people that don't have to worry."

"But Hayden... this is Shawn that we're talking about. The Shawn. Your Shawn. He would want to know, he would want to be here for you."

"Which is exactly why he can't. I won't let him. He has worked so hard to get to the point in his career that he is in right now. He has plans Deb. I don't want to be the reason he puts his life on hold for. And I know him... there would be no discussion about it, he would do it in a heartbeat and I love him for that but it would kill me... it would kill me to watch him abandon himself entirely for me." I wiped under my eyes, swallowing the tightness in my throat. I made my decision and that was what it has to be.

"You're going to hurt him," Deb said shaking her head as she stared at me in disbelief.

"Not as much as if I was to let him watch me disintegrate in that hospital... that would hurt him more." I responded.

I took in a sharp breath, clutching the neckless in my hand as I thought over my conversation with Deb. My phone buzzed on my dresser, letting me lose my train of thought.

'Almost there! Less than twenty minutes away from the restaurant❤️'

I read Shawn's message over one more time before placing my phone in my black over the shoulder bag. I quickly put on my black flats, closing my eyes to take a deep breath.

I went to walk over my apartment door, to start heading towards the restaurant when I stopped in my tracks. I glanced at the floor length mirror, staring down at the red floral dress that flowed out to my knees. My hair was curled in long loose waves, laying over my shoulders.

Tonight was a special night. Shawn was flying in for our annual date night and insisted on taking me out to a nice dinner. But what I knew in my gut was that it wasn't going to be like any other date night because tonight was going to be our last night.

**

Shawn stood outside of the restaurant, holding the single rose in his hands like he has brought me every date we've ever had. The front of the restaurant was glowing with warm fairy lights making the restaurant very inviting. The second he saw me he looked me over with the biggest smile on his face.

"Hey bubs," He whispered softly, his large frame towering over me as he engulfed me into his arms. He buried his head in my neck, placing soft kisses on my collar bone. I closed my eyes as I was consumed by his familiar scent, just wanting to hold onto this moment.

I watched him cautiously, feeling like I couldn't move. He pulled away for a moment, cupping my cheek and placing his lips against mine. I closed my eyes as he held the kiss for a second longer before resting his nose on mine.

"I've missed you," He smiled before pulling his face away from mine. He intertwined our hands, his smile growing wider.

"Can I look at you for a minute?" Shawn said, stepping away from me, holding both of my hands in his as he glanced me down from head to toe. "You're glowing."