Emergency Room | Chapter 40

When Lisa was rushed to the emergency room, Chaeyoung sat outside, fiddling with her fingers as her anxiety and worry rose so high that her pulse at her head was pounding so hard.

Her blood stained shirt got many glances but she paid no attention. This cursed place, the hospital. The last time she was here, she lost the person she loved most, what is she going to lose this time? Her everything?

Chaeyoung tried not to chew on her nails out of anxiety but the red light at the emergency room was not helping her calm down. It kept flashing, which made Chaeyoung's heart beat unexpectedly fast.

"Come on Lalisa, come on," Chaeyoung muttered anxiously under her breath.

Chaeyoung loved Lisa, and still does. Nothing can get in her way.

"Chaeyoung?" Jennie's voice broke her out of her small panic attack. When she looked up, she immediately ran to hug the couple, breaking into tears unknowingly because of worry.

Jisoo patted her back, and Jennie's heart sank.

"What happened?" Jennie questioned worriedly.

Chaeyoung sniffed, "Lisa came to sit w-with me but something happened a-and Shay came and stabbed Lisa." Her voice was so hoarse that it broke Jisoo's heart.

Jisoo handed Chaeyoung a fresh set of clothes for her to change. The other girl grasped onto the clothes.

"I'm scared," Chaeyoung confessed. "I-I don't know what I'm going to d-do. I don't what to do if I... I don't know— What if I lose her too?" She asked in such worry, she clutched her head in distress.

Jennie stroked her back to try and calm her down, "She'll be okay Chae... Lisa's a strong woman. You know that too. She'll fight on."

Chaeyoung nodded into her chest.

When Chaeyoung left to change into the new set of clothes, Jisoo sighed in frustration, ruffling her hair. She wanted to yell at Chaeyoung but she knew that it wasn't her fault. Jisoo mentally cursed that Shay was put behind bars and hopefully battered to death.

Chaeyoung came back out, slumping on the chairs too. Shay and her had long been over, or maybe they never even shared anything special. She didn't love him like she loved Lisa. She didn't even love him a single bit.

Right about then, the doctor burst out of the emergency room. Chaeyoung sprang to her feet and sped to the doctor, "How is she?"

"She needs a blood transfusion. Miss Manoban is rather anaemic now and needs a blood transfusion fast," the male doctor said.

Chaeyoung nodded vigorously, "Do it then! Please do it quick. You need to save her."

"We don't have enough O+ blood in our blood bank which is why I'm here to ask if anyone of you have the same blood type."

Chaeyoung didn't hesitate and she grabbed the doctor's arm desperately and anxiously, "Take my blood please! I'll do the transfusion please! Just save her!"

The male doctor was taken aback by Chaeyoung's action but he remained professional, "Ma'am please remain calm and follow the nurse."

Jisoo looked at the sight of this Chaeyoung and she was just reminded of high school Chaeyoung; all in love with Lisa, always drawing her. This was exactly the same, just more intense.

Chaeyoung followed the nurse, digging her nails into her skin nervously and anxiously. She couldn't lose Lisa. She'd hate herself forever.

"Please fill this form up," the nurse handed the form to Chaeyoung and she scribbled her details in quickly.

She exhaled heavily as she sat in the waiting area tensely. The nurse disappeared into one of the rooms, leaving her alone there. She bit her lip to try and calm herself down. She regretted everything.

"Hi Miss Park. Just to confirm, we will be taking blood from you for transfusion. The recipient of the blood is a cancer patient, so we would have to take a little bit more than 3 packs of blood. Please make sure you eat a full meal after," the nurse briefed.

Chaeyoung's heart shattered upon hearing this. This was the long awaited confirmation everyone wanted Chaeyoung to hear.

Lisa has cancer. Lisa was a cancer patient. Lisa was suffering from cancer.

When the nurses pierced the needle into Chaeyoung's delicate skin, she cried, not out of pain but out of the sadness that she was in.

Her heart just kept clenching, harder and harder, to the point that she felt as though it was limp, or torn apart by a beast.

She couldn't lose Lisa.

After the transfusion was done, Chaeyoung returned to Jennie and Jisoo.

"Why didn't you two tell me?" Chaeyoung questioned, eyes looking dejected as she looked at Jennie and Jisoo. She wasn't even angry, or disappointed. She was just numb at this point.

Jennie grasped onto Chaeyoung's cold hands, "I'm sorry I kept it from you once I found out about it. I just— Lisa didn't want me to tell you. But she gave me very specific instructions to tell you if she was ever in the ER."

"Why?"

"She knows how hurt you have been over your mom. After you left, she thought you didn't want her anymore, and so she made up her mind. She wanted everyone to keep it from you, thinking she'd burden you, or drag you down. Lisa was very upset that you didn't believe her at first but she let it go because she loves you Chaeyoung," Jennie said, not helping to calm the poor crying girl down at all.

Chaeyoung wept hard, her heart breaking with each and every word that Jennie was telling her, "W-what are the instructions?" She looked back up to meet Jennie's troubled ones.

"She wanted you to go to your shared apartment if she ever faced life dangers. She told me that she has a surprise for you that she always wanted to give you," Jennie replied, bringing her arm over Chaeyoung's shoulders to comfort her.

The Australian leaned her head on Jennie's shoulder and continued to weep, hard.

Hours passed, and Lisa was finally out of the emergency room and admitted to the normal wards, but she was still asleep. Chaeyoung clasped onto Lisa's hand tightly, peppering kisses all over her pale white hand.

Chaeyoung has never felt this broken in so long. The pain of seeing your loved one in front of you, but yet so lifeless.  

Jisoo entered the room and patted Chaeyoung's shoulders, joining the girl. Comfortable silence settled around them. 

"You should rest at home if you're tired," Jisoo said in a warm tone. Chaeyoung merely nodded. The clanking of a set of keys took Chaeyoung's attention off Lisa and to Jisoo instead. The feeling of cold metal touched her palm; it was the house keys. Her eyesight blurred from fresh tears, she could not handle the overwhelming feelings flooding her chest.

"This..."

Jisoo nodded, "Your keys that she didn't let anyone else touch apart from Jennie and I."

Chaeyoung accepted the keys gracefully. That small empty part of her felt full again. She sighed and grasped the keys tight. 

"Could you stay tonight?" Chaeyoung asked quietly as she fiddled with the set of keys in her hand. "I was thinking I could go back..."

Jisoo nodded, patting Chaeyoung's back again with a smile, "Go ahead. I'll update you."

With that, Chaeyoung left, determined to uncover the secret that Lisa was keeping.

a/n: what's the surprise?