Overheard | Chapter 30

The next few days, Lisa cherished every single morning she had when she managed to wake up beside Chaeyoung. Seeing Chaeyoung's face first thing in the morning never failed to wipe out all her miseries and troubles.y

But the excuse Lisa used to escape work was soon going to be exposed to Chaeyoung. Lisa told her girlfriend that the Publications section were having a 2 day break, which was true. And just this today, Chaeyoung would come back home with many questions.

Lisa has already sent her resignation letter to Mister Sung to quit her job. Chaeyoung just didn't know.

"Hey," Lisa called to her girlfriend who was still asleep. "It's time to wake up baby," Lisa continued, gently caressing Chaeyoung's cheek before planting a kiss on her cheek.

The girl whined, before getting up lazily and preparing for work. Lisa had to go with Chaeyoung to the office so as to cover up for her horrible excuse. She started to wonder if she should've just told Chaeyoung that she has quit her job instead of trying to lie continuously to her. Lisa didn't think of the consequences because she was just trying to minimise the pain Chaeyoung had to bare.

However, now she feels stupid for not thinking it through. She had put herself in a difficult spot. How was she going to answer when Chaeyoung asked now?

"Are you not getting ready for work?" Chaeyoung's voice interrupting and broke Lisa's train of thoughts.

The younger girl got up on her feet before getting ready too, just to lie to Chaeyoung, sadly. After she was done, the both of them left the house and was headed to the office.

They walked in together just like the old times, until they came to Lisa's biggest challenge, the gantries for the workers. The girl knew that access for her worker pass had been cut off since she had resigned from the job.

When she hesitantly tapped her pass on the scanner, she awaited the rejection sound of buzzing. However, to her surprise, the gantry opened for her to enter. Astonished, she stood still for a good moment, causing Chaeyoung to look at Lisa's unusual facial expression.

"Lisa? Are you okay?" Chaeyoung asked, realising that her girlfriend was spacing out. Lisa nodded before entering the lift with Chaeyoung.

Before the lift stopped at Lisa's level, she placed a kiss on Chaeyoung's cheek as usual before leaving the lift. Chaeyoung wouldn't lie but after Lisa had came to the office with her, she felt a little less stressed and more motivated to do her job. The past month without her partner was just emotionally draining for her. Not to be dramatic or anything but it was true. Lisa was Chaeyoung's motivation for everything and without Lisa by her side, she'll feel empty.

"Good morning Mister Sung," Chaeyoung greeted with a smile.

The man smiled, "Good morning Chaeyoung." It was very evident that Chaeyoung's mood was lifted and Mr Sung knew exactly why. He felt like what he did was a good thing because if he had terminated Lisa's access into the building, it would've been chaotic for the young couple.

The both of them settled to do work for a while before the office phone rang.

"Hi Mister Sung speaking," he greeted since he picked the phone up before Chaeyoung could.

"Uh... Mister Sung? This is Lisa speaking," the young girl mumbled in a tone which sounded like she had lost everything.

"Yes? Anything I can help with?" he continued asking.

Lisa hesitated because she didn't know how to word her question. But she just spoke her mind, "Why didn't you terminate my access into the building?"

"I thought it'd save you some trouble," Mr Sung replied. With that said, Chaeyoung turned to look at her boss, getting suspicious of the subject her boss was talking about.

Lisa was speechless, she wanted to thank Mr Sung but she didn't know how.

"Hey, how about we talk about this over some coffee?" Mr Sung suggested, trying to make it seem less suspicious. That worked fortunately and caused Chaeyoung to avert her attention away from her boss.

Lisa agreed before hanging up but soon got a text from her CEO telling her to go to the pantry now so that they could talk about what they just discussed.

"Chaeyoung, I'm going to out for a short while. Call me if there's anything," he said before he left the room.

After a short walk over, Mr Sung and Lisa were sitting opposite each other, one nervous while the other carried a heavy heart.

"So, Lisa," Mr Sung broke the silence and got Lisa's attention. "I think you owe me an explanation on your sudden resignation?"

The girl looked down to her thigh for a bit before she mumbled, "Sorry." Lisa looked back at her boss, "Did you receive my medical report for the check up you have arranged before the Paris trip?"

The CEO nodded, "It stated that you were unfit for the trip and two days later I receive your resignation letter, completely clueless as of what happened."

"I'm sorry for the sudden decision Mister Sung."

"Don't apologise, I'm not blaming you or anything," Mr Sung said to ease Lisa's anxiety. "But what happened? You were doing very well in the company. Why did you suddenly decide on resigning?"

Lisa gulped a little, feeling a little uncertain about telling her CEO about this. However, it was the right thing to do, "I... went for a more detailed check up after the report was issued and I found out that I have been diagnosed with breast cancer of the first stage."

After she said all those words, she felt like a rock was lifted off her shoulders. The weight she felt was no longer there.

"I'm sorry to hear that Lisa," Mr Sung said emphatically. "Let me know if you need anything alright? Even though I am not your boss anymore, but I'm still a friend."

Lisa smiled, heart filling with content and gratitude, "Thank you so much Mister Sung..." She sighed a little realising that she had to talk to him about Rosé, "Mister Sung, I realised you haven't told Chaeyoung about me quitting. Thank you for that."

"Don't thank me Lisa, it's part of respecting your privacy and I thought you had your own reasons too," He responded with a small smile.

"Uh... thank you so much for everything you have done for me Mister Sung. You are one of the nicest people I have met in my life. I wish you all the best for the future," Lisa wished her boss with a heavy heart.

Mister Sung looked at her with sad eyes, "Don't say that... You are one of my best workers and hearing this from you breaks my heart as much."

"Thank you once again," Lisa thanked again before she left the pantry to go back home. Leaving the office hurts Lisa's heart too. She had grown this fondness over the company that she worked in because of how great the working conditions were.

Rosé on the other hand, was hiding in the washroom, locked up in a cubicle and wondering what she has done wrong. Hearing upon this new news wasn't the best for her to handle. Why didn't Lisa discuss her resignation with her? And why did she have to lie? She was drowning in her thoughts, but she thought she was a little too broken to cry.

The cold shoulder Lisa had given her over that one month had made Chaeyoung grow numb and now this little bit of shocking news wasn't new to her anymore. That was what she thought. She wouldn't blame Lisa though, she loves Lisa. She blamed herself for not being a good girlfriend, to be there for Lisa; to understand her.

However, this was not Chaeyoung's fault. At all.

a/n: unedited! but i'll see to this tomorrow. i just wanted to thank you guys for reading this and waiting for the updates since i feel really bad for taking so long. a heartfelt thank you guys❤️