Burial | Chapter 19

Three days has barely passed. Today was the burial of Hyeyoung. Chaeyoung dragged her fatigued body out of bed, early in the morning on a Saturday. Life hasn't been going well for the girl. She hasn't been able to smile genuinely because of how solemn she felt about the loss of her beloved mother.

Every small thing in the house and her life just reminded her of her loving mother. Every single time, without fail, the thought of her mother just brings tears to eye brims. It was really painful to be going through a process like that; suffering from a loss of an important family member.

After a few hours, Chaeyoung puts herself in full black, standing in front of the mirror and feeling the stinging on her eye rims once again. Today would be the day that she had to finally let go of the loss of her mother, and accept that she's gone for good.

Lisa's health hasn't been the best either. She has been worrying for Chaeyoung the past week because she hasn't been herself lately. Chaeyoung hasn't been letting anybody be close to her, she doesn't reply Lisa the way she used to, return Lisa's calls or even talk to anybody.

It has been very very saddening for Lisa to go for class and realise that the only thing she longed for isn't sitting down the spot she used to.

Lisa sighed as she left the house in full black, ready to leave. On the road, she kept worrying that Chaeyoung wouldn't want to see her there.

The older girl stood beside the grave. Her extended family are all gathered by the grave, some crying, some mourning. She caught sight of Phil approaching them with a bouquet of roses. Wine red, fresh and elegant roses.

Her heart broke. Red roses were Hyeyoung's favourite flowers, and she would often whine about others receiving roses and how she doesn't. Today, was different.

The man stood by the side, bowing his head down for a good while before placing the bouquet on the coffin carefully.

"Rest well, my love," he muttered sadly. Chaeyoung felt bittersweet. The fact that he actually remembered and gave her this bouquet as his last gift to her was the sweet. However, the reality that Chaeyoung should've bought her mother roses made her feel so bad. She shut her eyes, exhaling slowly to calm herself down.

Just then, the familiar scent of flowers that Chaeyoung somehow loved, attacked the girl's nose. She turned to see Lisa walking towards her. The sight of her lover carrying white roses made her nose flare. It made her feel a certain kind of something she couldn't pin point out.

Seeing Lisa after a whole week of avoiding her wasn't the best idea. She had just realised how scrawny the younger girl has grown after her mother's passing and it was starting to worry her a lot.

"Rest well," Lisa quietly mumbled, placing the flowers down. She turned around after, meeting Chaeyoung's tender eyes. Lisa couldn't resist herself, and she walked towards Chaeyoung. "Rosie..."

Before another word could be spoken, Lisa's hands were around the older girl's body. Chaeyoung hugged Lisa back, feeling a certain kind of heartache. It wasn't a heartache of sadness, but it was more of a like a punch that doesn't hurt at first, but after that when you try to fix it, it just hurts so bad.

"I'm so sorry," Lisa whispered, caressing Chaeyoung's hair as she closed her eyes. The older girl's heart broke when she was reminded that they were reunited at her mother's burial.

Chaeyoung pulled away ; the first time she ever did so, "She's in a better place, as you said." She puts on a fake smile in hope to convince Lisa that she's alright. She didn't want Lisa to worry too much as well.

"Chaeyoung..." Lisa called painfully to her. "Stop torturing yourself like this," she continued, hand going up to cup the Australian's cheek. "Please." Lisa's voice broke and the gentleness in the way she said please had made Chaeyoung lose it.