Chapter 7

Jade's POV

I wake up at the sound of the doorbell. I then remember I need to meet the lawyer. I got fresh and left the room.

Uncle Joseph wishes me evening with a warm hug. I saw a man sitting on the couch with a small briefcase with him. He was the lawyer, uncle Joseph talking about earlier.

" Hi Jade, my name is Brake Brown, nice to meet you . " He raises his hand to meet mine. 

We share a small handshake.

" Nice to meet you too Mr. Brown. " I replied and sat opposite him.

He enters his code and takes out a few papers from it.

" As you are the only successor of Mr. and Mrs. Whistle, you hold all of their property, assets and bank accounts. Your dad had already created a will. If I have your permission, I would like to read it out for you. " He said.

" Please go on. " I granted him permission.

" Thank you. According to the will, your uncle Mr. Joseph Martin is chosen to be your guardian until you become twenty four, which is twelve years from now. If anything happens to you in between this time, all the properties and money will be donated to orphanages. You will get power of attorney at your twenty fourth birthday. This is your bank account details. He told me to hand over you this envelope. " He handed me a sealed envelope.

" Thank you Mr. Brown. " I said, taking the envelope.

" You're welcome Ms. Whistle. I would like to have your signature on a few papers for legal formalities. " He said while taking out some papers and stamps. 

He handed me the pen and pointed to the page where he needed the sign.

" Sure. " I said signing on the paper.

He stamped on each page and gave a copy of it. He put all the papers back in his briefcase and stood up.

" It was a pleasure meeting you Ms. Whistle. All the best for life. " He shakes hands with me.

" Thank you, it was a pleasure meeting you too. " I said firmly.

Uncle Joseph walked him out to the gate and returned back. I was sitting on the couch looking blankly at the envelope in my hand.

" Why don't you open it? " He asked.

" I don't know, Dad had already told me about these things before but had never told me about any envelope. " I said.

" There's only one way to find out. Open it. " He said.

I broke the seal and opened the envelope. My eyes filled with tears seeing Mom's and Dad's handwriting. I cleaned my eyes with fingers and started to read the letter.

Dear princess,

If you are reading this letter then it means that we have left you all alone in this world and would never see you again. We had gone far away from you.

You can trust uncle Joseph for your life. He will be a good companion for you. Don't cry much on our death. We have prepared you for that. You are our pride, make us pride by making good out of your life. We'll always watch you. Our regards are with you. Always.

There's a bag beneath your bed, in that there are the essential documents you would need. We had deposited an amount of money in the bank in your name. You can use it in need. Be a strong girl and fight with the world. Never assume yourself to be alone. We are always with you. Take care princess. 

With lots of love 

Mom and Dad

I blink at the letter several times before kissing it. I can't hold my tears back anymore. I let them flow until they dry. I went to my room and searched for the bag beneath my bed.