Chapter 6

5 years later...

Jade's POV

Five years had passed by. I dedicated myself to studies. I found them to be my best friends. I sometimes read romantic novels in my free time. Mr. Smith is an excellent teacher. He would clear all my doubts and treated me like his own daughter.

I had lived every day in fear whether I would see my parents the next day or not. They were also worried for me, but never showed their face. I really love them. 

My parents anniversary is next week and I planned to give them a gift. There was nothing much in the gift, but I decided to score well in my final exams of high school. That would be the gift they would really like. I gave online exams and always scored around ninety five percent. This time I tried hard to get more than that and I succeeded. I scored ninety eight percent in finals. I was so happy.

I started to search for good colleges, of course a Commerce college. I shortlisted a few of them and wrote it on the note. I would later discuss with Mr. Smith and my parents about which one to join. 

.....

The day came to surprise them with my report card. I was eagerly waiting for them to come back from the neighbouring city San Diego. They both went there to attend a business party. Coronado is my birth place and home till now. I just love this city and its people.

I checked the time once more. It was six in the evening. They said that they'll be back at lunch time. I started to get worried. The fear overtakes the worries in me. I was not ready to lose them this soon. I am still bloody twelve years old.

Then I heard the doorbell rings. I took a deep breath of relief, wiped my tears off and ran to open the door smiling. My smile fades away the moment I open the door. Uncle Joseph was standing there with a sad face. 

" Uncle Joseph? " I couldn't believe my eyes.

Then Dad's word started to flood in my brain. He will take care of you after we die.

" Hey Jade, nice to meet. " He tries to stay calm.

" Where are my parents? Tell me. Where are they? " I ask abruptly.

" Calm down. Can you give me a glass of water first? " He asked politely.

Then I remember that it was so disrespectful to talk to friends at the door! But the fear inside me makes me like that.

" I am sorry, please come in. Feel at home, I'll just bring you water. " I settled him down on the couch.

I brought him a glass of water, but he didn't drink it. He puts it down on the table and hands me to sit. I sat on the couch opposite to him. 

" I have bad news for you. " He says in a low voice.

" Don't tell me that Mom and Dad are not coming back! " I said angrily.

" I know how you are feeling right now, but that's the truth. Your parents died in a car accident on the highway returning from the party. " He said low headed.

My world shutters down. I was numb. I gasped. Tears find their way from my eyes to my neck. I feel like someone stabs me in my heart. Like someone had taken breaths from me. I was not able to breath. My body freezes. Everything around me stops for a moment. I can hear uncle Joseph saying words, but my brain was not in the state to comply with it.

" The couple also died at the spot as your parents were in the car that hit your parent's car. " He said.

" Do you... you know them? " I ask between my sobs.

" No. " He replied.

" Where are they right now? I want to see them. " I cried.

" They are at the hospital. I had completed all the formalities. You just need to sign a few papers. The responsibility of their funeral is mine. Tomorrow morning we will bury them in the graveyard. " He suggested.

" I want to see them first. " I requested. 

" As you wish. Stay strong, I am there for you, you are my daughter now. " He tried to calm me.

I cried more. He holds the glass of water for me. I drank a few of it and hugged him. I buried my head in his chest and cried the life out of me. He holds me tight and caresses me all the time. I fell asleep in his arms. The next thing I remember, I was in my room on my bed under the blankets and my eyes got closed.

I wake up in the morning with a heavy heart. As yesterday's memory flashes through my brain I started crying loud. Uncle Joseph came running in and trapped me in his caring arms.

" Good morning, princess. You need to stay strong. Are you ready for the funeral? " He asked.

" I don't know. I am not feeling well right now. " I replied halfly.

" I know, I can understand your pain. But you need to stay strong. That's what your parents wanted, right? " He asked.

I nodded. I get up and freshen myself. My heart was not ready to believe that they are not here with me. But I am a strong girl. I will stay strong. Saying so to my heart, while gazing at the mirror for so long, I went out of the room.

Uncle Joseph was talking on the phone. I thought it was from the funeral department. The breakfast was ready at the table. He ended his call and joined me at the table. We eat silently. My eyes were still watery. He assures me everything will be alright and we went to the graveyard by his car.

I can see people in black dresses with low heads. Then my eyes caught two coffins kept near the big grave. Tears started to flow like a tsunami from my already swollen red eyes. I stand there numb like a pillar. Not moving at all. Uncle Joseph pushes me a little from behind to go forward.

Uncle Joseph took care of all the things. I don't remember anything of it, except the two coffins were lowered down in the grave. My vision started to blur. I started to fall by side. I closed my eyes from that impact. I could sense a couple of hands holding me. I fell asleep.

I open my eyes in my room. Uncle Joseph came with a glass of water and few medicines. He handed them over to me. I gulped the medics with water.

" Thank you, Uncle joseph. " I said, handing him the glass.

" You don't need to be. Your parents give your responsibility to me, I am just following them. " He said, keeping the glass on the side table.

He brings the study table chair near my bed and settles on it.

" You did a lot for me. I don't know how I would have managed these without you. Thank you. " I said honestly.

" Your welcome. How are you feeling now? You felt unconscious due to shock. " He said.

" I am good now. " I replied.

" Eat this lunch. " He placed lunch on the bed. " Take some rest. The lawyer will come in the evening. " He informs me.

" Okay uncle Joseph. " I said.

He smiled at me and left. I ate lunch and fell back asleep.