Grief

Summery: Short part 2 one shot of Long Live the Chief. Astrid is depressed and devastated after Hiccup's death.

Italics: Memories

Bold: Hiccup from Valhalla
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A week after Hiccup's death was his funeral procession. Astrid was so depressed and all she could think about was how much she missed him. Everyone looked at her as she stood up at the stage. Trying to hold her tears, she calmly spoke. "Once there was a boy, born so frail and fragile, everyone thought he wouldn't make it except one. His father. For years try as he might the boy was different-"

"You have to give me a chance to explain!"

" I'm not listening to anything you have to say!"

" Then let me show you. Please Astrid."

" You wanna keep it a secret to protect your pet dragon are you serious?!"

" Yes."

" Ok, so what do we do now?"

"One day the boy changed life on Berk for the better and showed me I didn't have to be perfect, tough, or boring. He showed me happiness, fun and love. Something I'd never experienced before. He took me on a romantic flight, he helped me clear my families name, and was always there for me-"

" Astrid, you and I have been through everything together. You don't think we can handle this? Whatever that means. Whatever you want it to mean. I am with you, there will always be a Hiccup and Astrid Always!"

" After we got together while living with the gang on our own island we found outside the archipelago. He gave me a betrothal necklace that his father gave to his mother and his father gave it to him to give to me. It was quite honestly the sweetest thing he ever did for me-"

" I didn't get you a gift!"

" Astrid you got me the greatest gift in the world, you. You just being here with me is the only gift I need"

" I remember the first time he told me he loved me. Me! I almost couldn't believe it but I did because he did so much to prove that love to me-"

"Don't say anything, I was being silly." She said. " No you weren't! I should've noticed that necklace right away but it's not about that. I've been taking you for granted. I have and I realized that today. I couldn't have done any of this without you Astrid, not the dragon riders or the Edge. You've always been there for me and I want to always be there for you.  I love you Astrid Hofferson With everything I have and I always will."

"Hiccup is and always will be the love of my life even at his lowest point when his confidence wasn't very high. He was a great chief, a great father, a great son, but most importantly to me he was great husband-"

" Ok you're back to where you started. But I was the first to believe in you and I have watched you doubt whether you're worthy ever since."

" But you know what? I am the person I am today because of you. I never told you that but it's true!" She exclaimed.

"You are the most bravest, most stubborn, most determined knucklehead I know!" She said.

" Toothless didn't give you that Hiccup. He just-"

" Made it easier."

"Now its going to get a lot harder. What are you gonna do about it?"

" Probably something stupid."

" That's the Hiccup I know."

" Hiccup, I love you and I'll always be your milady. I love you Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third, with everything I have........... and I always will." Astrid finished.

" I love you too milady with everything I have. There will always be a Hiccup & Astrid...... always"