Four

Season Five, Episode Thirteen Stairway to heaven

Stairway to heaven

Max knew she had to be patient, she wanted to be the same person that walked into Jackson Prescott's room three days ago but now it was all different, mistakes were made and the things that she hoped wouldn't happen, happened.

Maybe if she fought harder to get Jackson his organs or maybe if she would've just paid a closer attention to what her colleagues where actually doing, then the past three days wouldn't have turned out the way they did but you can't change the past, no matter how hard you want too.

Max loved her job, at least normally she did. She spent hours upon hours waiting with parents or keeping kids company, she bought little arts and crafts for the kids to keep them somewhat occupied and brought in food that wasn't from the cafeteria, so it wasn't a surprise that Max came back to the hospital to make sure the Prescott's had everything that they needed.

It wasn't a surprise that Miranda was in the room either.

"Dr. Bailey, I just called U.N.O.S. Jackson officially at the top of the list for a liver and small bowel" Dr. Karev whispered.

"They can't come soon enough, his ammonia levels starting to rise" Miranda whispered back to Karev.

"I thought the shunt was supposed to but us 24 hours. Isn't that what you said, that it should give us 24 hours?" Mrs. Prescott asked the three doctors but she looked at Miranda.

"Melinda we are doing the best that we can" Miranda told her softly.

"I know, I-I know you are" Melinda replied back.

Max looked down at her pager and then to Miranda, they both were getting paged, "Uh, excuse us"

They both walked down to where the prisoner was being kept, Max thought it was strange to be paged down here and it seemed that Miranda was a little confused.

"Oh, my god" Miranda said as soon as the two walked in.

"He had a seizure, I have him on lorazepam" Meredith explained as she changed the guy's head wrap.

"Did you page Shep?" Max asked her, she looked at the bloody gauze on the bed and then back at Meredith.

"I paged you guys"

"Page Shepherd" Miranda told her.

"The patient doesn't want that" Meredith quickly replied back.