Ninteen

Season Seven, Episode OneWith you I'm born again

With you I'm born again

Max wondered how many times she could cheat death before it actually caught up to her, would it be a couple of years from now or should it have been a couple of years before when she almost drowned? Or maybe it's today.

It didn't hurt much when she died, honestly she could barely remember the moments before she did. Did she try her hardest? Of course she did but sometimes your best isn't good enough.

She watched the look on her friends faces when they got the news that she died, everyone cried and most cried out to her, begging her not to be gone and to come back. She watched as her brother flew back from Switzerland so that he could say goodbye to his sister.

Watching her family grieve was the hardest part, Mark a newly widowed single Dad who now has to live his life doing things without Max, but she knew that he would do just fine besides, he had a whole team on his side ready to jump in and help.

Maeve will never be the same, not since her Mom died. The little girl didn't have the motivation or encouragement that she had gotten from Max so Maeve just stopped working on her inventions altogether. And Malakai would grow up without a mother, he wouldn't be able to feel the fierce love a mother gives her children and he would never know how great of a mother Max truly was.

Max wondered how many times she could cheat death before it actually caught up to her, would it be a couple of years from now or should it have been a couple of years before when she almost drowned? All she knew, that it wasn't today and she was stronger then those bullets.

"What does Change mean to you?" Dr. Perkins asked, waiting for an answer, "Dr. Mallard?"

"Change is normal. It's a sometimes unwanted event that nothing can stop even if you try. The shooting changed me, it changed everyone in this hospital but I can't let it destroy me so I'm ready to go back to work. I need to save lives again, I can't stay at home" Max honestly felt like going back to work was the best thing for her.

"You were shot, you almost died. That's a lot to worry about"

"I'm worried about a lot of things but myself, is not one of them. I'm worried for Miranda after seeing Charles get shot and die, I'm worried about Derek because he got shot and Meredith for everything she's going through and Christina and for Graham for finding me like that and Lexie for putting her through that and for Mark, my Mark because he shouldn't have to worry about me dying all the time" Max told him him honestly.

"You saved a lot of people that day, including your friends even though you got shot for it"

"They're fine, we are all fine and we are all coming back to work. We're fine" Max repeats, not knowing if she was trying to convince herself or Dr. Perkins.