Chapter 18- Alaric

Começar do início

"You know what I mean. I see you're laughing at me. This ain't no laughing matter. You better pray. That man can make your life a living hell."

And I didn't doubt that. Deep down, I knew this was no funny matter. Alaric showing up here for whatever reason was like the rising of an apocalypse.

Not that I knew him like Alan, but first impression said a lot.

"We need to get rid of him." Jane said in a serious tone.

"How?"

"Haven't you heard of murder."

I laughed. She was joking, right? I searched her face for a humorous expression but found none. She gave me a smug look instead.

"You really can't be serious." I rolled my eyes at her.

"I ___"

"Do you mind if I join you guys?" A soft female voice interrupted Jane.

"Sophie... Umm sure." I hesitantly replied while Jane threw daggers at me for accepting her request.

"I was seated back there and I heard you speaking of Alaric."

Oh dang it! Now this woman would blab it to the entire world that we were gossiping about Alaric.

"No, we're not." I said too quickly.

"Don't worry. Mia, I also don't want him here, like Jane. It's like he has a problem with the entire world."

"He thinks the entire world revolves around him." Jane added to the fire.

"You know right!" Sophie exclaimed.

I wasn't getting it. Alaric was the one topic that could make Sophie want to hang out with us. I never knew Alaric was hated by that lot.

"How do you see him Mia?"

"Umm.. He's intimidating and intense." I said, poking the spoon into my now melted ice cream.

"If he takes over I wouldn't know what to do." Sophie sighed.

"Why?" I asked.

"He fired me five months ago when he was here. He saw me making a phone call at the hallway. I told him it was an emergency about my mom. He didn't change his mind, infact, it was like I was speaking to a log."

"When Alan returned, I came to him. You know he's compassionate. And he hired me back."

"Wow." I stated bewilderedly.

"He's heartless, Mia."

"We need to get rid of him." Jane banged her hand on the table.

Sophie laughed and I rolled my eyes at Jane.

"Get a feasible plan."

We finished eating and strolled back to the workplace. Sophie was still with us. I had to admit, she opening up about Alaric made me see how she really was. Not concerning the mean comments she pronounced on Alaric, but she wasn't as bitchy as I thought her to be.

I guessed she was one of those people you shouldn't judge before knowing.

I bid Jane and Sophie goodbye as they got out of the elevator on the fourth floor.

I settled down on my seat in a haste to check my phone as soon I got to my floor.

"Miss North, Mr Starvnos would like to see you in his office." A petite, chubby woman with black rimmed glasses said to me.

Finally, the one person I'd been longing to hear from.

"Okay, thanks." I smiled at her and stood up.

I shimmied out of the elevator in a haste and unscrupulously bumped into a hard strong figure, stepping directly on their shoes.

"Oh my God____"

"Look what you did, you idiot!"

A deep tenor voice roared. That voice. It made me stop right in the middle of my impending apology.

My head went up and my eyes landed on Alaric.

"I'm sorry." I whispered yelled in an irritating voice.

"Get out of my sight!" He yelled in a dismissive tone and stomped away faster than a lion after his prey.

What was his problem?

I wasn't in the mood to be affected by his icy and austere attitude. I let his worthless tone slide out of my head as I marched to Alan's office.

"Did you see Alaric?" Jane's eyes bulged out like they were about to pop out of their sockets.

"I did. He's got issues." I whispered and skipped her as I entered Alan's office.

He gave me a soft kiss and held my hand to the  seat.
"You're okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine."

Your brother however, is not.

"Mia, I need to talk to you."

"Okay." I let out. He took my hand in his and I wondered what the hell was going on?  Nevertheless, I gave him a small smile.

"I'm going away to Greece."

The smile fell from my face. "What, why?"

"Family business needs my assistance, well expertise."

"Yes, but this company also needs your expertise." I stated as I rolled my eyes.

He chuckled. "It's complicated but I'm the only who can take care of things right now."

"But who will manage this place then." I gulped, bracing myself for a reply I foresaw coming.

"Alaric. That's why he's here. He'll take over while I'm gone."

No!

No!

I can't work with that maniac, I'd rather walk and be eaten alive in a pond full of crocodiles.

I gulped down empty air as I thought of Sophie. With Alaric as the new boss, what was she going to do?

Maybe Alaric had forgotten he'd fired her. At least, that was the only contingency we could hold onto at this moment.

"I would love if you could come with me." Alan jolted me back to life.

"I would have loved to go with you." I said as I held his face in my hands. It was true I would gone anywhere with him, not because I didn't want to be working with his devil brother, but everything and everywhere with him felt right.

"But Papa and Jay, I can't leave them all by themselves."

"Yes, I totally forgot." He gave a small chuckle.

"How long would you be gone?"

Please say a week.

Maximum, a week and a day.

"A month."

A month working for Alaric?

Terrific!

Hopefully, Alan would make it just in time for my burial.

Or Alaric's.