005

———

———

AUGUST.

"Hey mama." I spoke and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Hey baby." She greets, "How'd you sleep? I heard you on that phone last night." She looks knowingly over her glasses.

I chuckle, "I slept fine ma. It was just someone from school. We was tryna do this project for our class."

"A project hm? I didn't know projects were something to laugh about." She shakes her head. "Here child, now go off to school before you're late."

"Love you." I laughed and grabbed my bookbag and keys and headed out to my black Jeep Wrangler.

Getting in immediately I turned on the heat, "Shit, it's cold as hell out here."

As I start pulling out, my phone ring and I make a face. "The fuck?" I answer the call through the car.

"Yo." A giggle fills my car and I chuckle already knowing who it is.

"Do you always answer the phone like that?" Kali asks, her soft voice filling my ears.

I chuckle, "I guess so.You good though?" I reached over to turn the volume up.

"Yes, I'm okay. I was just asking you if you wanted me to bring the flash drive and the printed papers or just one. I hope that made sense." She sighs.

"No mama, just bring the papers, I got everything else."

"Okay, you need anything? I can bring you water, or some food for the day." I look at the sandwich my mom wrapped and laughed.

"Nah, I'm good. Ima see you when I get there."

"Okay."

I hang up and continued to drive.

I ain't know what it was, but I could feel that Kali was different. She was making me different. My mother had seen a smile this morning that that she hasn't in months.

Her aura, her energy, her everything. She made me feel comfortable which surprised me. Usually my anxiety would get the best of me when it came to holding conversations. But with her, it seemed like it didn't even exist. Being completely honest, my anxiety got better over the years, I still take my medicine from time to time. Especially before school, before work, when I know I'm going somewhere full of people. It started back up when my brother died. Knowing someone could've took him out with ease has me thinking about the niggas that could take me too. I made some bad choices that'll eventually leave my mother to deal with the consequences. Well she already has, losing her first born.

Pulling up to the school, I sat there for a moment, trying to get out of my head. I grabbed the plate, my bag and got out.

"August!" I turn around and see Kali coming over and dragging the same girl from the mall with her.