108

"Hey Hey Hey! Silas! No!" As my mate steps forward, his growl more than broadcasting his feelings towards his mother right at this moment I find myself between them, my hands splaying themselves on his chest to keep him from getting any closer to her than she already is. Not that I think he would actually do anything to hurt his Mom... Just that if he were to get in her face over the offense it would cause even more if a scene than what's already happening at the moment

Luckily it works and his angered encroachment stops, the basket being left where he's dropped it, his arms coming up to wrap themselves around me in order to take the comfort that I am more than ready and willing to give him. It's my turn to turn my consciousness into a blanket, the settling of it around Silas's mind a little difficult without being able to actually see anything in his consciousness except the anger that keeps trying its best to bubble up.

"I didn't mean to upset you, Sigh... It's just-"

"No."

...
Silas
...

The sternness in Adrian's voice when he cuts my mother off has me snapping out of my reddened haze, my eyes a pulling away from glaring at Mom and focusing on him as he turns in my hold with his narrowed eyes making direct contact with hers as she takes another step back, "Where do you get off saying that my mate won't take responsibility for his children? From what I've gathered you and your mate didn't do that great a job raising your own children, and even if you did it still wouldn't give you the right to suggest that Silas would abandon me." I'm not even sure what to say as my sweet boy raises his eyebrows and lays into my mother in a way that has me tightening my arms around his waist to keep him from walking forward himself, "You should be happy. Your son found his mate and wants to give you grandbabies and all you can think to tell us is that he's going to walk out on me as soon as I get pregnant?"

The look on my mother's face is almost comical in the way her cheeks heat up with embarrassment. Somehow watching my Princess lay into her feels so much more satisfying than if I were to do it myself... Mostly because she isn't exactly sure what to do about the angry lecture pouring from my sweetheart's lips, "...And for your information- It's not too soon because it's something we both want, and I know for a fact that Silas won't walk out on me. He hasn't left my side since finding me and has taken better care of me since we met than I think anyone's ever taken care of you in your whole life, and I'm not sure what makes me sadder. The fact that you clearly don't know what it means to have a supportive mate or the fact that you will not be getting an invitation to the baby shower."

Mom isn't even given a chance to respond as my Addy-Baby pivots in my arm to give me a suddenly shy smile, his anxiety starting to creep up in his throat as he clears it and pushes on my chest just a little, "Let's go make you a Daddy, Silas."

...
Adrian
...

For a second I think I'm about to be in the biggest kind of trouble... Stealing Daddy's thunder and telling off his mother... I thought for sure Silas would be mad when I turned around... But instead, I'm met with raised eyebrows that melt into a smirk and nuzzle from his mind that stirs the colony of butterflies that had moved into my belly right around the time Silas walked into my life...

I'm not in trouble and I'm glad because the words are all true even if my deliverance of them wasn't exactly the kindest.

I really dont understand why people think they can talk to my Daddy the way that they have been... He's an Alpha... And mother or not Bethany should be ashamed of herself for making any kind of assumption about him, especially one that is so absolutely wrong.

One that doesn't stop her from half shouting, "Wait!" When Daddy grabs the basket and we turn to leave, both of us more than glad to leave the unpleasant conversation and company in favor for doing just as I've said, yarn and a new book seeming not as important as getting out of the same general vicinity as Bethany and her negativity and stiff when we're denied the opportunity to do so without any furthering of the scuffle.

....
Silas
....

"What?" I pull on my sweet baby until he's nestled against me, not needing him to square off against Mom any further, his piece having already been said, and rather sexily at that.

I would much rather be rushing us through check out to get my Pumpkin home and out of those perfectly filled out jeans of his to take him up the unmissed parting that he had given my mother while the image of him angry and sassy is still so fresh in my mind knowing that no matter what I do I'll never be able to coax that side of my Angel out all on my own... Not that I would ever try to make him mad on purpose... But the thought of him still riding the coattails of his passion while we make love lights a fire under my ass in a way so unique that I almost might blow Mom off completely if she doesn't hurry up and spit out what she has to say.

"I didn't mean to be rude- I... I'm sorry." The sincerity in the words draws my attention away from the top of my Bean's head, the fire that had roared to life in my belly dying when I see a look on her face that I've seen one too many times before...

It's the same look she gets on her face every time Dad leaves... Misty eyed and guilty, the self-loathing seeming to radiate from her very pores as her eyes dart to the ground breaking contact with mine... The only thing that's missing are the tears that normally stream down her cheeks right before he walks out the door and the pleading that almost never stops for him to stay home just this once... Just for a little while.