His Confessions

After our shower we laid in his bed basking in each other's presence. I was held up against him and studied the stubble along his sharp jawline while his hand were tangled in my hair.

It was blissful silence.

He caressed my face and kissed the corners of my mouth. I giggled. If he wanted round 5, I was more than happy to give it to him.

"Sarasi." He called my name softly. I hummed in response. "What do you think of my family?"

They're messy as fuck.

"They're different from what I expected." I choose my words carefully. Though currently I dislike Megan and his mother, that doesn't mean I could just blatantly disrespect them. Especially his mother. No matter how irksome she is, that's still his mother. "Though a bit over the top and off the handle, it's nothing that calls for me to hate them."

"Are you willingly to be a part of this family?"

It can't be worse than mine. I'm dead to my parents and my only sister sold me out to my crazy ex husband.

"I do."

"Even if we're sheltering more than a few secrets?" He trailed his finger across my lips. I gazed into his eyes. They held guilt and that weighed on my heart tremendously.

Here it comes. I'm either about to get all the answers the the questions I'm too scared to ask or he's about to tell me to just trust him.

"You're running a prostitution ring aren't you?" I braced myself.

He frowned. "No, Why do you keep asking that? I may not have the most pleasant reputation but I'd never stoop so low."

I looked away feeling embarrassed and remorseful. "I don't know. Maybe it's because you have such an unpleasant reputation."

"You're judging me?" He looked hurt.

"No! No! I swear I'm not." I cupped his face. "It's just, I heard things about you and they aren't good. I know you're not a monster. I wouldn't be here enjoying myself if you were. It's just- you have a reputation. One you only get by doing dangerous and illegal things."

He was staring through me again. Studying my character and realizing all my flaws before I knew them.

He placed his hand over mine. "Do you trust me?"

Perhaps more than I should.

"With my life."

He turned on his back and stared at the ceiling. Questions were lingering on the tip of my tongue but unless he started the conversation, they would go unasked. Some may argue I do have the right to know but I just can't bring myself to ask. It's because I can see his past clearly haunts him. He isn't proud of it and who am I to throw his faults back in his face.

I'd hate if the same was done to me.

He took a deep breath. I silently prayed he'd willingly tell me his confessions.

"When I was 20, I witnessed a scene that I was not supposed to." He began and I held his hand to let him know he had my undivided attention and full support. "For your safety and the sake of confidentiality, I won't tell you what it was, feel free to use your imagination. Nonetheless, I wasn't supposed to see it so they wanted to get rid of me. They came to find out that my fist along, with my family's power and influence, was mightier than any threat or weapon they tried to hold against me.

Their boss took a liking to me. He recognized my leadership skills and talent for fighting. In exchange for dismissing the bounty on my head, he wanted me to work for him at a covenant with deep ties in the mafia. Around that time I was getting prepped to take over the family business. I did not want my family affairs to be plagued by anxiety and blood thirsty men looking for revenge and bad reputation to bring down the family name." He paused to make sure I was following along. I nodded my head for him to continue.