“Are you thinking you, or someone else?”

                “I am thinking me.” He would not say hoping, he would not say anything of the sort, for it could give Derick a chance to give him false information just for the sake of gaining some sort of retribution. “Hmm, I can see your problem, I would not want to find myself tied to an English either. But I just happen to have some news on this you may find palatable.”

                Artair only raised an eyebrow. Something about what he was saying was rubbing him the wrong way. Something about it had him thinking he was most definitely not going to like what was being said. “The English woman was betrothed to Laird MacDonnell yester morn. He arrived in town just before the winter storm and has spent the majority of that time keeping out of your way, especially after the one encounter you had with him.”

                Artair froze, his heart stopped for a moment, and his breath caused pain in his chest until it was finally a point when he had to release the air within him or it would end on him keeling over and never getting back up again. No, this most definitely was not a time for that to happen.

                “Laird Robert MacDonnell?” At Derick’s nod, Artair saw red. “So who in the blazes am I to marry?” It did not truly matter, he would not be marrying whomever this woman was. No, Robbie was most definitely going to be getting a visit from him, and after what he did to the MacKay’s and especially Sheena, his brother’s wife. He was most definitely not going to lay a hand on his woman. Never. It was not going to happen, at all, for any reason.

                He knew where he was staying and may have to pay a little visit before the sun rose this morn. Once Derick had given him the rest of the information he wanted to procure.

                “Well, from what I hear, Kendrick was called to dine with a family of great wealth. Who just happen to have a daughter of marriageable age. Rumoured to be a great beauty and the most accomplished of females…who just so happens to have given away her virtue too soon, and needs to be married off quickly, with almost double her original dowry, and they do not mind if a lesser relative of a Laird be the one to take her.” Artair’s breath caught at Derick’s words. This could not be happening.

                Derick had given no names. But the rumours had travelled through Edinburgh quickly as one of such nobility that her family could trace its bloodline to royalty, had debased herself with one of the servants. No one eligible enough for her to marry, and so could not be forced together. But it left the family with the need to quickly marry her off. Kendrick had to know what it meant, and had gone there to broker a deal. Was it that he thought one girl interchangeable for him?

                In the past, that very much may have been the case. But now…

                Now he knew the face and sound of the woman he wanted most…and knew the feelings she invoked within him. He would most definitely be having words with Kendrick after he had words with Robbie. And if neither males wanted to change what they had started, well he most definitely would be having a few choice words that would make sure things went his way.

                If not, there was always the second plan he had made from the start. Steal Rohesia in the dead of night and make away with her before anyone noticed they were missing.

                Throwing his coin purse at Derick’s feet he left without a goodbye, slamming the door shut behind him was useless but made him feel marginally better at least. He had a lot to do before the sun rose, and he had a limited amount of time to complete it in. Aonghus had always said he enjoyed a challenge. Well, he always had to prove he was worth noticing when growing up. Now, well now it was time to use those skills and finally get something that he wanted, and he was not giving up until the result was what he wanted.