Chapter 12- Headlines

Start from the beginning

"Wow..." Keith expressed again. This time, pulling Jane's seat and sinking in it. "Just wow."

"Can you please stop?" I let out an exasperated sigh. This was a disaster, a catastrophic one.

"So you and Alan are a thing?" He squinted his eyes at me, his fingers rubbing his jaw, as if brainstorming to canker a crime.

I take back what I said about him. He's not handsome, he's ugly. There I said it.

"Keith, please stop. Don't you have work to do. And, besides there are still a lot of typos in my manuscripts. What happened to you reporting to Hailey?"

He sat still and furrowed his brows at me like I was crazy. I sighed and focused on my computer.

"That's not what we're talking about."

"Keith, I have work to do. Thank you for this." I pointed to the magazine and shoved it in his hands. "I have to get to work now."

After a few minutes of him surveying and forming his perceptions about me in his head, he finally yomped away.

I rested my head on the desk and let overthinking soar in me. Alan was a public figure. This rumor was bad for his image. He must probably hate me for causing him this trouble. People were going to surmise all sorts of nasty thoughts about him.

They were also probably going to say I was a whore too.

I began to have difficulty breathing. Slowly, I sipped my coffee that had now turned cold.

I really didn't appeal for any complications with Alan but this headline was enough for him to dislike me or even worse, hate me.

This was the worst day of my life. Making headlines was bad enough and now people were going to spread more rumors about me.

Isolation was my only solution now.

"What is this?"

"When did this happen?"

I threw my head up at Jane who stood before me, one hand to the waist, another flashing the magazine across my face.

"Oh not you too." I groaned. I figured I was going to blast the news to her and she would advise me on what to do.

"Sis your pretty face is plastered everywhere in this country." She said in a serious tone.

"The entire country?"

"No. You wish, but soon it will be. Lemme guess, the day you went on lunch with Alan?"

I nodded. "What do I do, Jane?"

"Just enjoy the moment. You have no idea how lucky you are, do you? You were seen with one of the country's most handsome bachelors, also a billionaire. This was bound to happen."

I hated Jane that moment, her character of making everything a joke wasn't needed right now, but it was in full play.

"You're a celebrity now."

"Jane it's not funny. What if Alan hates me?"

The statement turned her mute for a while. "Well that could happen but it won't. Alan likes you."

Here we go again.

"Jane, you know what, it's okay. Please stop." I would figure this on my own.

"I'm only telling you the truth. Dating a public figure is hard. You're going to get hated on for like a month but trust me baby, it passes."

I slammed a manuscript in my face and screamed in it.

I really didn't need this!

****

"So are you going to see him or not?" Jane attacked me again. We were having lunch at the house of Dishes and I had lost my appetite to eat.

Alan had walked into the office earlier with an angry expression on his face. He held the magazine in his hand and was harshly speaking to someone on the phone. His temper jolted the workspace silent, for that was a new display contrary to his usual warmth.

He didn't even look in my direction. I wanted him to smile at me, that would have given me the assurance and staved off the thoughts that he hated me now. If he had looked at me for a moment, he could have seen the fear that clouded in my eyes.

He passed by me and banged his door so loud my entire body shook. I was mortified.

Then, everyone's eyes was on me as I imagined the thoughts running through their heads.

I hated myself.

"Mia, I really think you should go to his office and speak to him."

"And tell him what Jane? You saw how furious he was when he came in." I was infuriated.

She nodded. "That was so peculiar. Alan's never been like that. I was so scared." She ended with a laugh.

"But, you really need to see him. You both need to talk or something."

"Are you done? I've lost my appetite to even eat." I pushed the food away from me.

"You're really not going to eat? This is why you need to see him. Forget everybody and do what will make you feel at ease in the end."

I ignored her pep talk, and got up from the seat.

We got back to the company and I was lost in my thoughts. The events of the day, was eating me up. The reaction of Alan, however, swallowed me whole.

His office door instantly swung open and my panic attack raged.

"Miss North, Mr Starvnos would like to see you." The man who came out of the office informed me.

I simply nodded once and turned to Jane who gave me an encouraging smile.

Drawing in heavy breaths, I proceeded to this office.

"Good morning." Alan did a visual checkup on me and ushered me to sit down.

"Mr Starvnos, I'm. so. sorry." I murmured, each word a saccato.

"Mr Starvnos, where's that coming from, Miss North?" He frowned but smiled.
"And none of this is your fault Mia."

"You came in...so mad today." I stated defensively.

"Yes you're right, I was mad at that publishing company. Not you." He got up from his seat, neared me but propped at the mouth of the desk just inches from where I sat.

"Really?"

"Yes, I was angry because I was worried about you. I'm used to this but you're not. I couldn't imagine the tremor that this put you through."

"I was thinking of you too. I got worried for your name and reputation."

A Cheshire grin spread over his face. "Thank you but you have nothing to worry about. And I have spoken to the management of that house, the magazine will be taken down in an hour."

"That's great news." I stated in a feeble tone, nervousness clambered my fingers, making them quiver more than they should.

"That's not why I even called you in here Mia. Though, the news of the day has ruined my plans."

I giggled. "It can't. You're Alan Starvnos. You can always make it work." I rose a peek at him. He was staring at me, his face was composed, giving nothing away.

He was wearing a plaid shirt with a tie. His hair was neatly swept back. He was simple today but the word handsome would still be an understatement.

"There's this formal party that I'll be going to this weekend, and I want you to come with me. As my date."

Oh!

For a fleeting moment, my heartbeat picked up instantly.

Me, as his date?