Ch. 13-The break in

Start from the beginning

Mom was the first one home and she cried when she saw Mr. Brentwood. She didn’t talk to me because she wanted to stay by Mr. Brentwood’s side. “Is he dying,” Mom asked while crying. “Hold on ma’am. We’re doing everything we can,” a lady said. “Haylynn are you alright,” someone cried out. I couldn’t look around because I was pressed into someone’s arms.

Was I ok? No I wasn’t. I was scarred and felt disgusting. If Mr. Brentwood died, I wouldn’t know what to do. Was I dangerous? Was Mr. Brentwood right? Would I hurt Drew? I started to cry and whoever was holding me, pulled back. “Please don’t cry Halo. Did dad do something to you,” Drew asked. I shook my head no. I didn’t want to talk about it. I couldn’t talk about it.

 I watched as Mr. Brentwood was loaded into the ambulance. This was all my fault. Derek and the twins came home and Drew made them go to their rooms. I sat on the couch and put my face in my hands while Drew was talking to some people. How could I have done this? I don’t even know what I’ve done? Trey said I’m human and obviously he isn’t. So why did Mr. Brentwood think I wasn’t human?

I just wanted to graduate from high school, go to college, and live a successful, single life. Then Drew happened and everything has changed. I don’t know what I want. All I really want is some answers. Hours passed by and I didn’t move from my spot. All I knew was that it was early in the morning and there was no word about Mr. Brentwood’s condition.

When Drew sat by my side, I didn’t know what to think. How can I tell the man that I love that I think I killed his father? “Drew I…I don’t know how it happened…I just,” was all I could say. I tried to clutch myself in a tight ball but Drew grabbed my hand. Drew turned my face with his other hand and said, “It’s not your fault. The paramedics think it was a heart attack”

A heart attack? I bit my lip in confusion. That sure didn’t seem like a heart attack to me. What would Drew do if he knew that I might have caused this? If he was smart he would leave me. Could I handle that? I looked into Drew’s eyes and could see how tired he was. I don’t want to keep him up. “You can go to bed. I don’t feel like sleeping,” I said.

Drew sighed and said, “If you need someone to listen, I’m here.” “What is there to say,” I whispered. Drew kissed my forehead and said, “It wasn’t your fault. Even if it was, Dad’s in good hands now. We can talk in the morning okay?” I nodded and Drew left the sofa.

He left me again. Drew left me all alone. I stretched out on the sofa and put myself in a tight ball. I don’t want to be this person. I will have to tell Drew everything in the morning. If he hates me, at least it’s better than me lying to him. Just knowing that he went to sleep without me telling him killed me. I closed my eyes and tried to clear my mind. Maybe sleep will overpower me.

*********************

Drew’s POV

I woke up early and noticed that something was missing. “Haylynn,” I called out. I felt the bed and she wasn’t there. I listened and the shower wasn’t running either. Did Haylynn come to bed?

I stretched and tried to wrap my brain around what happened. I was trying to lighten Haylynn’s load with the wedding plans and got the call that dad had a heart attack. I didn’t believe it at first but rushed home anyway. It’s not like I didn’t think dad would live forever but a heart attack just doesn’t happen to werewolves.