Episode 5- First day

Start from the beginning

"I've finally got a job." I squint my eyes waiting in awe to see his reaction.

"That's amazing Mia, I could have hugged you but__"

"Say no more Papa." I drop my arms around him. "You still have."

"And you won't even believe where?At Starvnos House of Publishers." I jump into the sky. Papa laugh at my childish deportment but he understands my joy.

"That's even more..... I don't even know what to say. Tell me. How?"

And the next thing I do is to pull a chair out, ready to tell Papa events that took place prior now. It's ineluctable the evening will be unending, but one of bliss and the assurance of Papa's freedom from this malady.
"So Jay....." I start.

*****

"Here's your desk, Miss North." A short dark headed man with big framed glasses directs me to an empty desk. The first in the last column and just few inches away from Alan Starvnos' office. My stomach somersaults as he creeps into my mind. The constant myriads of butterflies in my belly are because of him. And just on the first day of work, I suss I'm not the only damsel who admires him.

I admire his personality, his warmth and his charisma. And I'll admit, I haven't gotten over his Greek god looks but I promise to  maintain professionalism in all our encounters. And in most workplaces where revolting words are spoken of the CEO, its quite the contrary here. You can he's a real gem.

"Thank you, umm...." I purse my lips and raise my head at him with an awkward look.

"Keith." He states.

"Yes Keith. Thank you Keith."

"No problem. Hailey will give you your job details when she reports to work."

I nod and sit on the chair. Hailey must be the secretary Mr Starvnos mentioned about.

"I don't mean to be an annoying asshole but the ladies in this company are to report to work with a heel. Not this..." His eyes settles on my ugly patched moccasion.

My face turns beet red in sheer humiliation. Coyly, I hide my feet from his mocking eyes. "Oh okay, I didn't know that. From hence from, stilleto it is." I clack my tongue on fake bravado.

"I said heels, not stilleto. There's a difference." He crosses his arms in a manner cautioning me to get ready for a long talk.

"I get you." I wink at him playfully and wish he'll go away.

"Hope we can be friends?"

Definitely not.

"Of course." I reply with genuine intention. He waves me goodbye and disappears. I stare at the computer in front of me and turn it on, energized for work.

I'm idle for thirty minutes and Hailey hasn't reported to work. I check the time on the monitor and it's 9:15. I wonder if she's not late or free to report to work anytime.

Or maybe she's in but has forgottten about you.

Just then, Sophie the receptionist appears with her vintage bag on the counter. The action strikes me with the cognizance to look for my own bag.

There its.

Breathing peacefully on the floor. My bag's not for exhibition. It reeks of 1500s vibe. Made of extremely hard lather, one primarily used for carrying small heavy items. Its strong and sturdy and I love it, just isn't for public eye.

I travel my eyes to other desks as an act of confirmation as to whether I'm the only person with a grotty everything.

A very tall, pretty woman walks into the workspace. She has the figure of a model and is simply gorgeous. Her face wears a slight touch of make up as her blond hair bounces with every taken step. Her feet is tucked in a four inch high heel. Half of her beautiful legs don in a pencil skirt. I can't keep my eyes off her.