• Chapter Fifty-Eight •

*Lena's Point of View*

A couple hours later, Penny was sitting in her bouncer, and Stef and I were sitting on the couch talking about a few things. We heard the doorbell, and Stef got up to open the door. "Hey, Ma." I heard her say from around the corner. "Hello, Stefanie." Her mother replied.

I stood, and walked over to them. "Hey, Sharon." I greeted her as I hugged her. Stef and Sharon walked into the kitchen, and I walked over to Penny. I picked her up and carried her into the kitchen.

"There's the birthday princess!" Sharon exclaimed as she saw me walk in with Penny. I couldn't help but chuckle at Sharon's greeting to Penny. She always had a way to make things interesting. I let her take Penny as I carried her bags up to one of our guest rooms.

I came back down the stairs to find Stef and Sharon sitting on the stools, talking about the celebration. "Lena's parents are getting into town tomorrow night." Stef reminded her. "So we'll have all of tomorrow to get the house ready."

I sat on the stool next to Stef, and placed my forearms on the counter. "Lena went to the store earlier to get plates and utensils so we won't have to worry about dishes." She added as she glanced over at me.

Sharon's phone then dinged, and she pulled it out. "Oh, I'll be right back. I've gotta go get something." She said as she handed Penny back to me and walked out of the kitchen.

Stef and I exchanged glances, neither of us knowing what was going on. I started to chuckle softly, as knowing Sharon, it was probably something extravagant. Sharon came walking back into the kitchen about 5 minutes later, and sat back down on the stool.

"What did you need to do, Ma?" Stef asked, slightly annoyed. She tucked a stray hair behind her ear.

"Oh, just get a couple gifts I brought for Penny." Sharon replied.

Stef jaw's dropped a bit, and she glared at her mother. "Please tell me you did not go overboard, Mother." When Sharon didn't answer, Stef's face turned a little red. I sighed, as I had really hoped they wouldn't get into anything this weekend.

--------

*Stef's Point of View*

The next morning came in a flash, and the three of us were working hard to get the house cleaned up and Lena's decorations put up. "Wow, I love these decorations, Lena." My mother commented. "At least someone knows how to have a little fun sometimes..." She said under her breath.

"I heard that, Ma." I said rolling my eyes and putting up another strand of streamers. We hung streamers from the doorway into the living room as a makeshift door.

"Could you two please try to stay civil? It's Penny's first birthday, and we don't need anyone arguing." Lena pleaded as she placed Penny in the bouncer to keep her busy.

My mother started to object, but Lena shot her daggers. I silently laughed, as my mother could be a little scared of Lena at times. I walked over to Lena and wrapped my arms around her waist from behind. "It looks good, love." I said as I looked around.

We finished putting up decorations, and Lena and my mother walked into the kitchen. I picked up Penny, and carried her into the kitchen. I sat down on the stool next to Lena, and adjusted Penny so her back was against my stomach. We talked in the kitchen for a while, then decided it was time to head upstairs. I took Penny into the nursery, and laid her in her crib. I cracked the door, and walked into my own bedroom. Lena had already changed into her pajamas and was sitting on her side. I changed into mine, and laid on my side next to her. I wrapped my arm around her as she laid her head on my chest. "I love you." She said.

"I love you, too, baby." I replied, pecking her lips.