• Chapter Fifty-Six •

*Stef's Point of View*

Lena picked up her phone off the table and placed it in her pocket. "I should probably get going." She said as she stood. "I don't want to be late." I gently grabbed her forearm, and pulled her closer to me. I pecked her lips, and smiled. "You'll do great. Who wouldn't want to hire you?" I assured her.

She smiled and rolled her eyes as she walked out of the kitchen and grabbed her bag. I heard her walk out of the house, and close the door. I looked over at Penny, who was sitting in her bouncer. I smiled as I watched her for a moment. I stood up and walked over to the sink. I started washing the dishes, and stared out the large window.

My phone started vibrating, and I pulled it out of my back pocket. "Hey, mom." I answered. The other end was silent for a few moments, and I knew something was wrong. "Mom, what's going on?"

"I hate to have to tell you this over the phone." My mother said after a couple seconds. "But, uh, it's about your father. He uh, he passed last night."

My eyes widened, and I could feel tears starting to well up. "Um, thanks for letting me know." I said, my voice cracking. I hung up, and slipped my phone back into my pocket. I stared out the window, and the tears started rolling down my cheeks one by one.

----------

*Lena's Point of View*

I pulled back into our driveway, and got out of the car. I locked it as I walked up the front steps and into the house. I walked in to find Stef sitting on the couch, staring at the floor. "Hey, are you okay?" I asked as I walked over to her and sat next to her. I placed my hand on her knee, and she looked at me.

"My mother called earlier while you were at your interview." She started to say, and I could see tears starting to fill her eyes. "She called about my dad. He uh, passed in the middle of the night." She finished as a single tear rolled down her cheek.

I knitted my eyebrows together and wrapped my arms around her. "Oh, Stef. I'm so sorry." I said. I moved my hand up and down her back slowly, trying to be comforting.

She pulled back, and wiped her eyes. "We just can't seem to get a break, huh." She said jokingly.

"I'm hear for whatever you need, okay?" I said, ignoring her comment. "I know you two never really had a good relationship, but this cannot be easy."

She nodded, and looked at the floor. "You're right, it's not." She then looked back at me, and met my gaze. Tears started to slowly roll down her face. "I was going to talk to him again, try to fix our relationship, you know? I thought about what you had said, and you were right. I needed to try to fix things between us."

I grabbed her hand, and gripped it. "I know, Stef." I said as I raised my eyebrows once again. "I mean it, whatever you need, I'm here." I said.

She nodded and half-smiled. "I love you." She said as she gripped my hand.

"I love you, too." I replied, half-smiling.