• Chapter Twenty-Three •

*Lena's Point of View*

I got up in the morning, and hopped into the shower. Once I was done, I got out, and wrapped a towel around my body. I grabbed my hair dryer, and began to dry my hair. Stef walked in, and placed a kiss on my cheek.

"Morning, love." She said, as she grabbed her toothbrush.

"Morning." I replied, as I put my hair dryer down, and brushed my hair. I pulled it back into a tight bun, making sure there weren't any stray hairs sticking out.

Stef began to brush her teeth as I walked out of the bathroom. I walked over to the closet and grabbed a white blouse, and a long, tan sweater. I walked over to the dresser, and pulled out some black pants. As I got dressed, I started thinking about the day ahead of me.

Stef walked out of the bathroom and put her uniform on. Once she was dressed, she walked over to me, and grabbed my hand. "She's going to be fine, love." She assured me. She walked out of our bedroom and started to walk down the stairs.

I strolled back into our bathroom, and brushed my teeth. I walked down the stairs once I was done, and saw Sharon sitting in the kitchen.

"Good morning, Sharon." I said, as I walked over and gave her a hug.

"Good morning, Lena." She replied, returning the hug.

I smiled, and walked over to the counter, and filled my thermos with coffee. I didn't need to take anything for lunch, since Stef had said she would bring some lunch by and eat with me.

"Don't hesitate to call if you need anything." I said to Sharon as Stef and I walked out the front door. Stef placed her hand on the small of my back, and walked with me to my car.

"Have a good morning, love. I'll see you at lunch." Stef said, as she kissed me. I got into my car, and drove to work.

------

*Stef's Point of View*

I got out of my car, and walked into the station. Mike was sitting at his desk, going through a couple files. "Morning, Mike." I said, as I sat down.

"Morning, Stef." He replied, not looking at me. He sifted through a couple manilla folders, and put some into the drawer of the small filing cabinet next to his desk.

"I heard from Bill last night, and Lola seems to be happy with her latest family." I said, trying to break the silence.

"That's good." He replied, looking up at me.

Captain Roberts walked over to our desks, and looked at us. "You both can go home for the day. We need the station to be cleared so the captains from the surrounding areas and I can have a meeting." She then walked off, and into her office.

Mike and I looked at each other, kind of surprised. I looked at my watch, and saw it was only nine. "I'm meeting Lena over at the school for lunch, but I've got time if you wanted to go get some coffee?" I offered.

"Sure." Mike replied, standing up.

-------

*Lena's Point of View*

I kept thinking about Penny. I wondered how Sharon was doing with her, and I was constantly checking my phone to see if I had received any texts. I knew I shouldn't be worrying, but I couldn't help it.

Around noon, Stef walked into my office, carrying Panera. She walked over, and sat on the small couch that was against the wall. I walked over, and sat next to her. She placed the bag on the small table, and leaned over to kiss me.

"Hey, love. How's your morning been going?" She asked.

"It's been pretty uneventful. I've just been sitting in here applying for grants." I replied, removing the food from the bag.

As we sat and ate, we talked about some things. "I think we should ask my mom if she would mind watching Penny for a couple extra hours one night so we can go out to dinner." Stef said, looking at me.

"I think that sounds like a good idea." I replied, smiling at her. "When were you thinking?"

"How about Thursday?" She suggested.

"Sounds like a date." I replied, smiling at her.

After we were finished eating, Stef turned to me. "Captain Roberts told Mike and I we could go home for the day, so I'll be there when you get home from work." She said.

I looked at her. "Did something happen?" I asked.

"No, she just said that she and the captains from the surrounding areas were having a meeting, and she needed everyone else out of the station." She replied, half smiling.

I leaned in and kissed her. "I guess I'll see you at home, then." I said, smiling as she left.