• Chapter Thirty-Eight •

*Stef's Point of View*

In the morning, Lena was able to be discharged, and I had called Mike and asked him to pick us up. He pulled into the pick-up lane in his small, black car, and unlocked it. We climbed into the backseat, and he drove off.

He pulled into the driveway of the house, and parked the car. Lena and I got out, and I walked over to Mike's door, and he rolled down the window. "Thanks for everything." I said, smiling at him. He smiled back, and drove off.

We walked into the house, and into the living room, each of us sitting in one of the armchairs. We sat in silence for a moment, but then Lena turned to me. "I was thinking about it, and I think I'm going to wait until after new years to apply for a job. It's almost Christmas anyway, and neither of us would be working that week anyway." She said, looking at me.

I reached over and grabbed her hand. "Okay." I said, smiling at her. She smiled back, and squeezed my hand.

My mother came walking in, carrying Penny. Lena smiled, and took Penny. My mother walked up the stairs, and disappeared around the corner. I went up, and saw her sitting on the edge of the bed in the guest room she was sleeping in. "You okay, Ma?" I asked, sitting down next to her.

"I'm fine, Stef." She said. "Go back downstairs with Lena and Penny. I'll be down in a minute." She added.

I stood up, and slowly walked out. I walked back down the stairs, and back into the living room. "Is she okay?" Lena asked, looking up at me.

"She said she's fine." I said, shrugging. I sat down in the armchair, and smiled.

"I talked to my mom, and I think she and my dad are wanting to come over here for Christmas, if that sounds okay to you." Lena mentioned.

"That sounds fine. It'd be easier so we wouldn't have to travel with Penny." I said, looking at our daughter.

Lena smiled, and looked at her as well. "I can't believe she's already doing to be seven months old in January. Time has really flown." She said, smiling at Penny.

I nodded, and laughed slightly. "I can't believe it, either."

------

*Lena's Point of View*

I called my mom to make plans for Christmas, and Stef took Penny upstairs to the nursery. "Hey, mom." I said. "I talked to Stef, and she thought you guys coming over here for Christmas sounded like a good idea." I told her. As we finalized the plans, Stef came walking back down the stairs. "Okay, sounds good. Talk to you later." I hung up, and slipped my phone into my pocket.

"Plans are finalized." I said, wrapping my arms around Stef. She wrapped her arms around me, and I leaned in, kissing her. I pulled her closer, and sighed.

We walked into the kitchen, and I got the coffee pot out. I started heating the water, and sat at the table next to Stef. I pulled my brown, curly hair back into a bun, and got up to finished making the coffee. I poured us each a mug, and took them both back over to the table. "Thanks, love." Stef said, smiling. I nodded, and took a drink.

Sharon came walking in, and sat across from us. "Well, I think I'm going to head back home." She said, smiling. "Thanks for hosting me for a couple days."

We walked over to the door behind her, and said goodbye. I closed the door once she had stepped off the porch, and turned back to Stef. I grabbed her hand, and smiled.

We walked back into the living room, and sat down on the couch. "What about your mom? Are you wanting to invite her to join us?" I asked.

"I'll probably call her tomorrow." Stef replied, looking at the coffee table. She looked at me, and placed her hand on my knee. "How's your dad?" She asked. "You haven't talked about him in a while."

"He called a couple days ago while you were at work, and we had a long talk. He seems to be doing better, and my mother mentioned that he doesn't go out as often anymore." I said, half smiling.

"That's good to hear." Stef said, also half-smiling.

We continued to talk, and enjoy each other's company. Eventually, we made our way up the stairs, and into our bedroom. We got changed, and laid in bed. I laid my head on Stef's upperchest, and she wrapped an arm around me. "Goodnight." I said, sighing.

"Goodnight, love." She replied, stroking my arm.