• Chapter Three •

*Stef's Point of View*

I pulled back into the driveway of my home, and tried to calm my nerves. I was so flustered, and couldn't really think straight.

I walked into the house, and found Lena sitting on the couch, reading a book. I walked over to her, and sat down next to her. She put her book down, and pecked my lips.

"What were you needed for?" She asked, clearly concerned.

"There was yet another home where the foster kids were being abused and neglected, so Mike and I had to go with CPS to get them out of there, and take them to a temporary group home." I explained, my head starting to ache.

Lena placed her hand on my knee, and rubbed it gently. She understood how much I really hated these cases, and listened to me talk about how the system is messed up and lets kids be put back with people they know have been abusive with their past foster kids.

"I'm sorry, honey." She said. She scooted closer to me, and wrapped her arms around me in a tight embrace.

"But, it is what it is sometimes. Anyway, how was your afternoon?" I asked, really wanting to change the subject.

"It was uneventful. I just did some laundry and read my book." She said.

I nodded my head slowly, and looked at the ground.

-------

*Lena's Point of View*

"We're sure we're ready and want to do this, right?" I asked Stef, as we sat in the car.

"We both agreed we're ready, and want to do this." She assured me.

We went to the clinic to have the procedure done professionally, and waited for about 45 minutes before I was called in.

"Do either of you have any questions before we begin?" The nurse asked.

We both shook our heads, as I grabbed Stef's hand. Stef looked at me, and assured me everything would be okay, just with the look in her eyes.

A couple weeks later, I stopped by the pharmacy on my way home to get a pregnancy test. I got home, and waited for Stef to return from work.

She got home about half an hour after I did, and walked over to me, grabbing my hands.

"Are you ready?" She asked, with a comforting voice.

I nodded my head, and we walked up the stairs, and into the bathroom.