46. Christmas Day

🎄Christmas Day🎄

Ryan,

I passed Jilly the last gift I brought her.

She shook it, "is it airpods?"

I shruggged, "Open it."

Derrick walked into the living room and stood near my mom rubbing her shoulder. She rubbed his hand.

If she's happy then Im happy, but I still have my doubts about Derrick. He seems too.... nice?

Jilly gasped. "I knew it!" She placed the airpods in her ears.

I smiled.

I got a peek at the Christmas list she wrote Derrick & my mom so I knew what she wanted.

"Thank you thank you !" She hugged me tight.

Caught by surprise but I hugged her back.

"Merry Christmas Jilly." I chuckled a bit at the fact that she's still holding onto me.

Jilly let go of me eventually and Derrick began to pass my mom her gifts. "Merry Christmas love."

I watched her open her gifts until the pup caught my attention. Ava walked near me and sniffed my legs. "Where have you been?" I picked her up.

"Hiding. Jilly is always bothering her." Derrick said.

Jilly laughed, "she's so cute."

"What is this?" My mom asked causing all of us to look at her. She held a small black box.

Derrick had a poker face & he rubbed his head.

My mom continued to open the box.

It's a diamond ring.

My eyes widened a bit.

"Shit." He mumbled. "Uh I-It wasn't a gift." He took it away from my mom slowly.

My mom looked confused. "What?"

"I thought I lost it." He rubbed his head again. "I was going to propose tonight at dinner but I guess...I accidentally wrapped it." He sighed, "I was half asleep."

I looked at my mom and waited for her to react.

"Oh." She touched her chest. "You.. wanted to propose? To me?"

There it is.

Derrick smiled. "I still do." He got down on one knee and held up the ring to my mom.

My mom smiled so big.

Derrick said, "I love you and I love you with Jilly. I'll take care of you as long as you let me, I promise to have your back. I haven't trusted another female in so long and you won me over. I love you so much that I don't want to just be your boyfriend. So..will you, Ro', be my wife?"

My mom closed her eyes, I could tell she was thinking. She wiped her eyes, I didn't think she'd cry.

She looked at Derrick, "I love you and Jilly also." She smiled at Jilly. "As much as I want too. I need time to think about this Derrick."

His face dropped slowly. "Ro'?"

My mom got up and reached for Ava. I handed Ava to her and my mom walked upstairs.

Awkward.

Derrick finally stood up & went after my mom.

I should probably tell him to give her space but he'll be okay.

Jilly sat beside me. "My dad loves you too."

I looked at her.

"He knows you don't like him." Jilly said. "He's trying to give you some time to come around."