Prodigal Sons

Chapter 24
Prodigal Sons

August 1, 1901

Clarence was coming from town with cigars for former plantation owners. He did this monthly to keep up appearances and get information regarding negro's in the county, making sure whites weren't plotting anything wicked.

There were issues with Indian's however he wasn't clear on what. On his way home, smoke filled the air he headed in that direction arriving to a blood bath. There were dead Indian's every where some sacrificing themselves as human shields.

Some were headless there were no children only men and old women the younger women were gone.
Selling Indian women as wives to white men wasn't uncommon.

He popped his fang's in case someone was around he tried not to step on the dead crossing the bodies.

He checked the mud house's and teepees for sign's of life when he heard light cry. Was it a child or woman? He moved the rug in the teepee there was a hole with a young woman holding a dead baby. Stay away she screamed clutching her baby drenched in blood .

I'm not going to hurt you I'm not a white man, I'm a free negro. English? I understand, go away! Ms. you can't stay the savage's who did this will return give me your hand please.

The sun was coming up, gimme your hand! She gave him her right hand clutching the baby in her left arm close to her bosom.

She walked behind him in the carnage afraid Eagle? She whispered, who are you calling? My husband, she gave Clarence her baby dropped to her knees after discovering her father's body on top of her mother's.

Clarence grabbed her arm watchful of the time she ran off as he held the baby who had a bullet hole in his chest, poor baby Clarence thought.

It's my husband can you help him? Clarence looked down his breath was faint and raspy is he a good man? What? She was shocked by the question. IS HE A GOOD MAN? Yes. Clarence took his wrist there was to much blood on his neck, if the blood was dead he didn't want to risk getting sick. He bit him he didn't have a choice of asking him because his pulse was fading. Clarence shook him looking in his eyes which remained human colored.

In fear of sunlight he left him in the ground, if he were vampire he'd turn during the day there he'd be safe from the sun.

Clarence escorted his Indian wife to his plantation she met his wife and family who looked at her baby pronouncing him dead.

Hausis lay in her bed for six month's and didn't come out of the room. She didn't speak, just sat near the window staring out.

It didn't stop Safinah and the other women from caring for and incorporating her in daily chores.

They buried the baby in the family cemetary she couldn't bring herself to cremation.

The next night. Clarence went to the tepee moved the rug to find her dead husband the way he left him unturned.

He grabbed him out the ground opened his eyes to see if the venom took hold it didn't he saw no sign of vampire or life.

He placed him on a sail boat on a nearby lake, shot a flaming arrow to it to set it on fire as his wife requested setting his soul free.

She asked he not to be placed in the ground the body needed to burn so the spirit could rise with his ancestors, feeling empathy he did as she wished.

When Clarence returned with the news she sat on the floor chanting in her native tongue, heart heavy and tears falling like hail Clarence left her to the women.

2020

Elijah let Spotted Eagle in carefully they kept 15 guns pointed on him He had long black shiny hair dressed in black.