If I Can't Have You

Chapter 4

The year 2020

Zion called the heads of each coven to show that evening at 7 p.m. New York time. All types of cars pulled up to the mansion of the man that set many of them free from slavery, bondage, or some sort of dangerous situation.

The house was a mansion in Brooklyn, New York, off the Jackie Robinson parkway. It was a fifteen bedroom with ten additional bedrooms built in the basement and six in the attic. There was a sub-basement under the house with holding cells. Clarence inherited the house in 1960 from an old, black woman whom he befriended after the death of her husband. They were friends with benefits until she passed from natural causes.

As vampires entered, they felt honored to be there. Males and females alike which Clarence had not turned, but gave permission that they may be one day to be made part of the ritual, he would drink from them, so he'd be able to read thoughts if needed, and call on them if he were in danger.

Clarence sat in the ballroom on a platform stage. As soon as the coven Elders entered, they saw him with Zion on his left, and the chair on his right still empty, as that was the chair for his deceased Queen.

The guardians offered glass flutes filled with blood. Each Elder took human blood, of course. Clarence knew people around the city who worked in blood banks, hospitals, and clinics. He also owned blood donation clinics when blood was extracted from a human but couldn't be used due to medical negatives. He'd have the blood sent to the mansions.

Clarence remembered what it was like to be human and still valued human life, although it had been stolen from him.

Zion was a smart vampire but made the foolish mistake of falling in love with a white woman in the 1950s, and doctor working in a segregated hospital as a janitor. Clarence's mind wondered to the day they met.

April 1st 1950
Georgia Dekalb County....

Zion's parents struggled putting him through negro medical school only for him to sweep the hospital, and not run it. Currently he was working on a cure for cancer, and often used human blood in his trials. Clarence built Zion a medical lab in the 60's for his life's long work.

One night Clarence was running in the woods as he often did when he saw the light burning from a campfire. There he saw six white men beating Zion badly. He thought he was already dead, but could hear his raspy struggled breathing. A man was beating and screaming "keep ya nigger hands off our women boy!"

One white man took a rope placing it around Zion's neck while the rest laughed. That's when Clarence stepped out from behind trees in the deep Georgia wood and said calmly "drop him." They looked at him and laughed aloud.

"Is he a white man?" One asked.

"No he's a nigger passing."

"Boy go about your business. Before you get strung up with him."

"Drop him!" Clarence growled. They tightened the noose tauntingly. Clarence, in less than one minute, grabbed the leader by his neck he rose him into the air ten feet off the ground while holding him with one arm.

Eyes a blaze with blood lust he bit his neck feasting on his warm blood. Clarence now agitated snatched his dinners head off when done dropping both body parts to the ground. Using his sharp claws at the same he fed he cut the strangling noose.