Troubled waters

Chapter 11

Alex's Plantation 1860

Ann was awaken by the overseer was standing over her shouting who did this? Was he after Ms. Minne & Ms. Clara? Ann was still on the floor her cheek killing her. She grabbed at her skirt covering her exposed vagina.. look like he took some goods the over seer laughed GET BACK TO WORK NO HARM HERE. It was clear Ann was beaten raped and assaulted. Get yourself together cotton need be picked. The Constable on his way he gonna want to speak with you about the man took clover. Clover gone? yes he took her come to finish the job im guessin. Ann was happy she was gone and pretend to cry at the news. Ms. Minnie want to see you up at the big house. Ann pulled her self together. She didn't take any tonics she knew she was not raped. She walked in the back door, where avril was comforting mammy from crying so hard. She walked into the bright dining room, yes maam as they ate breakfast, Ann.... Lord Jesus I prayed you were fine. Yes Ms. Minnie ise fine. What happened? A man come in grab me take womanhood from me and punch me so hard i wake this coming morning. He say he want clover, and that he be coming back for the woman folk in the big house. I tells him aint no women folk only men folk that when he punch me here pointing to her cheek and that the last i remembers Ms. Minnie.

I so scared on count he may try hurt you and Ms clara i just glad it me. Ann knew how to cry instantly. A trick taught to her by her aunt in the bayou, some men succumb to tears and some do not best try your hand and see then not.

Mr. Thomas knew she was lying but how could he out the lie without betraying his truth? So..What did the scoundrel look like? He was a white man, stocky, very strong he picked me up and toss me to the dirt so fast, blue eyes and hair sun color. The constable walked in and gave his greetings and heard her story. Well thank god he got to a nigger and not any of you fine women. Now i can not arrest him on count of taking advantage of a slave, however he stole a slave which it same as stealing a horse. That is a very punishable crime Ma'am because he has stolen your property. Do you still have the bill of sale on the slave? yes, Avril get the stock book, the green one. Yessum. Ms. Minnie found clovers bill of sale and showed it to the constable. Now you sure this gal aint run off?

No, she would never leave me, never she has been with me since she was a child. Please find her I have illnesses only she can cure and keep at bay. Yes ma'am I will do my best at returning your property to you. Inside Ann laughed so loudly, she had to control herself from smiling. Her mentor friend and sister was free, she was happy as if she were free. Not upset or hateful like some slaves when one get free, no she was joyous inside.

This a day to be happy! She crossed back into the kitchen when she was dismissed. Mammy sitting there wringing her apron in worry. Anne could not let her worry, she bent down to hug mammy and said, Clarence took her. Mammy looked up eyes filled with tears and worry, what you say chile? she whispered Clarence he come take her stage my beating, so they won't whip me none. Mammy fell on her knees THANK GOD. Shhhh mammy rise up please. She sat  how did he look? he look? Good like he passing as a white man. As long as he alive is all I care for. I have a feeling he be back I told him just what that demon done.

So I know he be back I'm be here to see him get his justice. She hugged mammy. They were satisfied knowing something bad was going to happen and not to one of them.

Ann! Ann!.... Safinah woke up 3 days later sore and stiff. She was thirsty. Ann! her eyes still swollen shut everything around her blurred. Have i lost my sight my head he hit my head you alright girl you still here she thought to herself.

Hello...Whose there? My name be lily. Lily like the flower? yessum. Tell me am i at twin oaks plantation? No ma'am you is not. Where is i at? No need for you be afraid. I can't see. You your eyes theys swoll shut. I gots medicine from your friend her name ann i think...Ann is here?! No ma'am not yet she ain't. Is im with Mr. Thomas? Clover trembled no ma'am you ain't. So where i am chile? Here she put the glass of water in her hand, water. Water from a true glass? not a jar or tin cup. Please. Clover afraid smelled and drank the water, Lilly took the glass and sat it next to her tonics. Safininh could see the colors of the bottles and knew it was them but was not clear. The door opened, foot steps walked brisk the person had on boots the click of his heels on the bedroom floor definantly a white man no slave owned such expensive shoes