Chapter 9: The Truesdale Dilemma

~(Y/N)'s POV~

It was the next day after the Monster Spirit incident. I was sitting next to Zane in Dr.Crowler's class. Though Dr.Crowler wasn't here yet. "Hey Zane. Do you know where Dr.Crowler is?" I asked him and Zane just shrugged.

Five minutes later Crowler comes in with a big smile on his face. "Good morning class. Sorry for my absence, I was in an important meeting discussing about a student soon to be expelled. Now pop quiz! Who can tell me at least five different types of monsters?" Dr.Crowler announced and the only ones who raised their hands were me and Zane. "Zane. Please stand and tell me." Crowler said calling on Zane.

Zane stood up from his seat and answered, "Certainly Professor. There are Machine, Dragon, Beast, Rock and Pyro." I sat and smiled at Zane standing tall and proud. He was the closest thing to a brother for me. He cared for me, made sure I was alright, listened to my problems. Zane was like family to me and i'm sure he felt the same way.

"Excellent work Zane as always. Just for those flawless answers, You may leave early today." Zane then put his hand on my shoulder, "Professor Crowler, May (Y/N) leave early as well? I think she can give you five more types." Zane said. I whispered to him, "What are you doing?" He then told me, "Come on. I know you don't feel like being here. I know you want to see that Slifer kid." He wasn't wrong and how does he know about my feelings towards Jaden?

Crowler rubbed his chin thinking. Then he accepted Zane's request, "Alright. (Y/N) please enlighten me." Crowler said and I stood up next to Zane. "There's Fairy, Zombie, Spellcaster, Fiend and Divine." I announced then I got a little bit cocky, "If you would like more types, there's also Thunder, Beast-Warrior, Psychic, Aqua, and Serpent." Crowler applauded me and told me and Zane that we get a one hundred for today. We both left class early thanks to Zane and we walked and talked like old times.

"See. Don't you feel better your out of class?" Zane asked me. "I do. But how do you know I have a crush on Jaden?" I asked him and he chuckled, "So that's his name. Alexis told me she was beaten by a kid in Slifer Red, then I remembered the night you asked me about love. I just put two and two together."

I felt embarrassed. An Obelisk in love with a Slifer, if word gets out i'll be a laughing stock. "Please don't tell anyone Zane. I don't want people laughing at me. Or Jaden to know I love him. At least not yet." Zane patted my head and gave me a smile, "I promise I won't. And besides, if people would make fun of you, they would have to answer to me. Love whoever you want (Y/N), I'm sure this Jaden kid must be someone special to catch your attention."

I gave Zane a hug again and we continued to walk. Like I said, Zane was like family to me. I knew I could trust him.

~Jaden's POV~

I just had a duel with Syrus. He said he had no confidence because of his older brother. Alexis then told me Syrus's brother was Zane, the top student at Duel Academy. I plan to Duel him for Syrus's sake. So... I went to sign a duel request form but Mr.Crowler ripped it up. So I had to try and ask him directly...

"Hey! What's your problem!?" I yelled at the two Obelisk guys in front of the entrance that just pushed me to the ground. "There's no way Zane would want to duel you. Now beat it Slifer Slacker!" The Obelisk student threw water at me and laughed.

~(Y/N)'s POV~

Me and Zane were on our way back to the Obelisk Blue dorms. We both stopped dead in our tracks when we saw Jaden there on the ground. "You should help him." Zane told me and I nodded.

I ran over to him to make sure he was alright. "Jaden. Are you ok?" I asked him and he looked angry, "Yeah I'm fine. But those jerks won't let me duel-" I interrupted him by pulling out a towel from my bookbag and trying to dry him off. I rubbed his pants, his shirt then his face. I then handed the towel to him and he dried his hair. "Thanks (Y/N)." He said to me. I smiled, "No problem."

This was my chance to maybe ask him out. I wanted him to get to know me better. Maybe I could make him feel the same way I do for him. "Hey Jaden. Do you want to maybe duel? Tomorrow maybe?" I said nervously. I was literally asking my crush to duel me. He gave me a smile, "Ofcourse (Y/N). From when we met at the Entrance Exams i've been meaning to ask you the same thing. But we rarely get to see each other." When he said that we rarely see each other brought up Banner's offer for me to be in Slifer Red. I gave him a smile and cheerfully said, "Great! Then it's settled. We duel tommorow." Jaden ran off but looked back and waved goodbye to me, "See ya later (Y/N)! I can't wait for our duel." I waved back.

The sun was setting. I was about to head inside but I got a call from Zane. He told me to meet him by the lighthouse and that it was urgent, so I ran right away.

I finally made it to Zane. Alexis was there too. "What's the emergency, Zane?" I asked him and both Alexis and Zane pointed towards the water. I saw what they were talking about, it was Syrus on a wooden raft trying to leave Duel Academy. I gasped, "Syrus! What are you doing!?" I shouted but he couldn't hear me.

I then turned towards Zane, "Come on Zane. We gotta save Syrus." I started running towards Syrus but I realized Zane and Alexis didn't move a muscle.
"Leave him be (Y/N). Syrus doesn't belong here anyway..." Zane scolded me. That scared me. I have never seen this side of Zane, it was frightening. "What are you talking about Zane? Ofcourse Syrus belongs here. Now come on, we need to help him." I said. "I said NO!" Zane yelled at me.

I was about to protest again but I saw Jaden jump in the water to get Syrus, stopping Syrus from leaving. Zane glared at me and I gave him one back, "(Y/N). Don't you dare go over there and-" Zane stopped talking when I ran towards Jaden and Syrus.

I don't know why Zane is so obsessed with Syrus leaving. I don't like this new side of Zane at all. I hope this is temporary.

I went down the rocky cliff to meet with Jaden and Syrus. Syrus and Jaden were both drenched in water. "Oh hey (Y/N). I'm glad you dropped by. Get it? Because you dropped down from the cliff." As much as I wanted to laugh at Jaden's corney joke, I went to check up on Syrus.

Syrus was busy trying to rebuild his raft but I placed my hand on his, making him pause. Syrus then looked up at me with tears in his eyes again, "Oh (Y/N)! I'm so glad your here!" He hugged me tightly and cried into my uniform, "What were you thinking Syrus? Why were you about to leave Duel Academy?" I asked him and he replied, "Because im not good enough. That's what my brother tells me." There he goes mentioning his brother again. His brother is such a horrible person to discourage his own sibling.

"Who's your older brother Syrus?" I asked him. A familiar voice answered my question, "I am." Zane said. I looked up to see Zane on the cliff glaring at both me and Syrus. Tears started to form from my eyes, I took heavy breaths trying not to let the tears flow. I felt my heart break. I felt hollow...

How could you Zane? You were like family to me. But I now see your just like my dad and my brother, shunning Syrus out, leaving him alone and afraid, worst of all...Making him feel worthless.

Like how I felt when my family broke.
As far as i'm concerned...

I have no family.