Chapter 102

Sophia

Matthew’s funeral was full of hundreds of nobles and relatives paying their respects. Following the event, the King and Queen, their children, and Alexander and I had a private mourning at his grave in Canterbury Cathedral. After I said my prayers, I retired to a pew a few rows away.

I watched the King kneel for a few moments in front of Matthew’s casket before standing up and walking to the corner of the altar. Little Victoria fell onto her knees and began to sob quietly. Instead of pulling her up as I suspected she would, the Queen also found herself on her knees in tears.

The rest of the children followed their lead. Alexander stood there as if he was unsure what to do. Then to my surprise, he walked around his mourning family and went to stand with his father.

After everyone had said their goodbyes, the family and I exited the cathedral. Outside, thousands lined the streets. An eerie silence floated in the air as our carriages pulled up. Most women were holding handkerchiefs and sobbing to themselves. Even the men seemed to be fighting emotions.

The King and Queen got in the first carriage. They swiftly rode away as the children spilt themselves into the next two. Alexander and I sat ourselves in the fourth.

As we rode away, I looked down. I couldn’t bear to see the expressions of the people as we passed them. When we were a safe distance away, I lifted my head.

“What is wrong? You have not been yourself these past few days,” I spoke to Alexander.

He took a deep breath. “I am fine, thank you. There has been a lot on my mind, that’s all.”

I was not content with that answer. “Why did you not say final prayers?”

My blunt question caught him off guard. “I… have already explained this to you. The funeral held today was for a stranger.”

I shifted my weight. I was becoming increasingly uncomfortable with Alexander’s lack of respect for his brother. “You couldn’t send your well wishes to your brother’s soul then as you claim it died long ago?”

“Why waste my prayers on an eternally damned soul? It is too late to save him.”

I had no response.

The day after Matthew’s funeral, all black draping was taken down from the walls and banisters. It was as if his death was forgotten by the castle. Everyone seemed to be doing well in public, but behind closed doors no one was okay. No one except for the King and Alexander. To them, life was business as usual.

The Queen became extremely reclusive and hid in her room for days, refusing to see anyone. Even her ladies were turned away. Knowing how it felt to have no parent to comfort you, I invited the children to my chambers day after day.

We cried and talked with one another. We played games and read stories, but their favorite thing to do was have me read to them. No matter how much they were hurting, whenever I read a story, they became silent and thoughtful. I could see the change in their eyes. Every fable or fairy tale mended a hole in their little hearts. After a week or so, most of them seemed to feel better.

I wondered why Matthew’s death caused them so much pain while Elizabeth’s death was not too much of anything at all.

I was able to smile again as well. One thing aiding in my joy was my pregnancy. My stomach had grown significantly in the last few days. I was now visibly with child but not too large yet. The midwife had nothing but positive remarks for me on the baby’s health. Alexander was also becoming even more excited for the baby’s birth as the days went on. It was not estimated to be due until after Christmas and it was only early September now. Either way, we were both very happy and our relationship was doing well.

One morning I got a very unexpected surprise. I woke very early in the morning to gentle knocking at my door. As I opened my eyes, I could tell that the sun was barely over the horizon.

“Come in,” I croaked groggily.

My chamber maid Agnes peaked her head in. “I am so sorry to wake you this early, your grace. There is a visitor here who would like to speak with you. I believe you may wish to speak with them as well.”

I sat up slowly. “Is this visitor female?” I asked, looking down at my flimsy nightdress. It was certainly not appropriate for any male guest to see me in.

“Yes,” she giggled. “May I let her in?”

I was curious who would be here at such an early hour. “Of course.”

I stood up and pulled on my robe that lay at the end of my bed. Just as I had secured the buttons, someone entered the room.

“Hello, your grace.”

I looked up in shock. “Charlotte!”