Chapter 58

Sophia

A few minutes later, the streets we rode on turned from dirt to stone. The horse’s hooves clicked on the ground as more screams of joy filled the air. I saw the tall steeple of the abbey first. It took only seconds until it was in full view in front of me.

I waved to the crowds as the carriage came to a stop. A group of maids swarmed around my carriage. The driver helped me out and my dress was straightened. The train was pulled in a perfectly straight line behind me and I was being directed on exactly what to do even though I had been told many times over the past few weeks. When they were done speaking, they moved to the side of the doors of Westminster Abbey.

I took a short breath to settle my nerves and began to walk up the steps. I could hear an organ playing inside. It was hard to wrap my head around the fact that this was it. This was my wedding day. This was the day I had been waiting for my entire life. This was the day when I finally became worth something.

My shoes were now on the plush linen floor of the aisle. I looked up to see thousands of faces looking at me. When the King said it would be an affair filled with pomp and circumstance, he was not lying. Flowers draped every surface. The finest cloths covered the seats that the guests were not using. They all stood, trying to get the best glimpse of me.

My nerves were worse than ever, but I put on the biggest smile I could manage. I was disappointed that I couldn’t see Alexander yet due to the long stretch of aisle I had to conquer first. I looked forward as I walked. I paced my movements to the music. I was now wishing it was a faster song. After passing through a marble arch, the altar became visible.

Alexander was there, a huge smile on his face. Behind his was the Archbishop. My mother and my ladies sat in the first row on my left. Alexander’s family sat in the first row on the right. Matthew was absent, but that did not surprise me. Victoria waved at me before Peter pulled her hand down and whispered something in her ear. I finally reached Alexander who had an extended hand waiting for me. I placed my right hand in his and he led me forward.

Once at the altar, the Archbishop began. “We are gathered together here in the sight of God and His bounty of Angels to join together this Man and this Woman in a binding of life; it is an honorable estate, ordained in Paradise, and into which holy estate these two persons present come now to be bound.”

Alexander and I both looked at each other and smiled.

“At this day of binding, if any man do alleged and declare any impediment, why they may not be coupled together in Matrimony, by God's Law, or the Laws of the Realm; and will be bound, and sufficient sureties with Him, to the parties; or else put in a Caution to prove His allegation; then the solemnization must be deferred, until such time as the truth be tried.”

I was afraid that someone in the large audience would speak up, but it remained silent.

Alexander and I turned to face each other, our hands intertwined.

The Archbishop turned to Alexander. “Your Royal Highness, Prince Alexander, Wilt thou have this Woman to be thy wedded wife, to live together after God's ordinance in the holy estate of Matrimony? Wilt thou love her, comfort her, honor, and keep her, in sickness and in health; and forsaking all other, keep thee only unto her, so long as ye both shall live?”

There was a gleam of joy in Alexander’s eyes as he said, “I will.”

I was then asked. “Your Royal Highness, Princess Sophia, wilt thou have this man to be thy wedded husband, to live together after God's ordinance in the holy estate of Matrimony? Wilt thou obey him, and serve him, love, honor, and keep him in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all other, keep thee only unto him, so long as ye both shall live?”

“I will.” I said it with assurance in my heart. I was sure this was what I wanted. For the first time in a long time, I was absolutely sure of what my heart felt. It made me glow.

It was then time to say the vows that had been burned into my memory. Fortunately, Alexander went first. “I, Alexander, take thee Sophia to my wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, for fairer or fouler, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us depart, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereunto I grant thee my troth.” He said the words with perfect fluency, not one pause in between.

I suddenly didn’t care if I managed to botch my words. I just wanted to say them. “I Sophia take thee Alexander, to my wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us depart, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereunto I plight thee my troth.” I didn’t stumble over my speech once. We released our hands as the Archbishop pulled our rings out of his robe pocket. He placed them on the Bible he was holding and blessed them. He then placed my ring in Alexander’s palm.

As he slipped it onto my ring finger, he said, “With this ring, I thee wed.” With his ring on my finger, I felt whole. I was his forever and nothing could break us apart.

I said the same words as I placed a ring on his finger. We then knelt for the wedding prayer.

“Let us pray. O Eternal God, Creator and Preserver of all mankind, Giver of all spiritual grace, the Author of everlasting life; Send thy blessing upon this man and this woman, whom we bless in thy Name; that as Isaac and Rebecca lived faithfully together, so these persons may surely perform and keep the vows and covenants betwixt them made, whereof this Ring given and received is a token and pledge, and may ever hereafter remain in perfect love and peace together, and live according to thy laws; through our Lord. Amen.” The Archbishop spoke with a gentle voice.

Before we stood, a small man ran over to us. He was carrying a plush pillow and on it was a piece of paper. He handed Alexander the quill. On the first line, he signed his name. The quill was then passed to me. I scribed my name across the second line. Our marriage contract was then whisked away. Alexander and I stood to face the crowd of people watching us.

The voice of the Archbishop rang loud throughout the abbey. “By the name of The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost, I pronounce you man and wife.” I placed my hand in Alexander's and we walked back down the aisle.