Chapter 83

Sophia

When I returned to my room, I quickly ate lunch with my ladies before a dozen maids came rushing into my room. Two were balancing a dress bag in the palms of their hands. They walked across the room and placed it on a chair in the corner. Another began digging through my dressing table to find all the things she needed to do my hair. I assumed the chaos was to get me ready for the party in a few hours. I was correct. Jane, Eloise, Amelia, and I were sat down. The maids each fluttered over us, styling our hair and makeup. My ladies were done within half an hour, but I seemed to take much longer. I was finally finished just as my ladies went to their rooms to get dressed.

“Why are you being so much more thorough with my appearance today?” I inquired as they put me in my dress for the party.

All the maids looked at each other, not sure who should speak. Their confused eyes landed on a maid who couldn’t have been any older than me. She hesitated for a second before finally opening her mouth. “There will be many guests tonight who are so excited to celebrate the news of your pregnancy. They will want to see that you are the picture of health.”

I smiled slightly. “Do I look that bad already?”

She giggled, but she stopped herself. “Not at all, your grace. You are glowing, but we just want to make sure you represent the best.”

I was still not completely understanding the logic behind my extreme polishing, but I didn’t feel like discussing it. I stayed silent as my dress was tightened and more makeup was applied to my face. My ladies came back with their new dresses on just as I was finished.

“Shall we head down to the party? Is it in the ballroom?” I asked.

Amelia shook her head. “No, it is in the King’s Hall. He only uses it for especially important occasions and tonight many dignitaries will be visiting.”

Jane followed Amelia’s comment. “And you have to make a grand entrance with the rest of the royal family. It is customary to officially announce your pregnancy to the rest of the world.”

Eloise motioned for me to follow her out the door. We took back hallways again, but I could hear the clamor of guests on the main floor. I tried to get a better look as I made my way down the staircase, but I was pulled away from them and down another dark hall. After a series of twists and turns we reached an arch that had a dark green curtain covering it instead of a door. Eloise pulled it back for me to walk through. Inside was a small room with wood paneling on the walls. I would have mistaken it for a library if there were any bookshelves in it, but there weren’t. The only thing in the room was two medium sized couches, a few servants, and Alexander’s family. The King was sitting on one of the couches deep in conversation with one of his sons, Peter. Next to Peter was Catherine who seemed bored as she studied her hands. Anne, Samuel, and Charles were all standing in a circle in the corner of the room, whispering about something. The Queen was sitting on the second couch with Victoria. They both turned as I entered the room. Queen Margret greeted me with a warm smile, but energetic Victoria ran up to me.

“Sophia! Do you like my dress?” She asked, spinning in a circle and fluffing her skirt.

I kneeled down to her. “You look lovely.”

She flashed a smile that would melt even the coldest of hearts. “Thank you. Congratulations on your baby. I hope it is smaller than me. I don’t like being the littlest.”

I giggled. “I think he or she will be.”

Content with that answer, she gave me a quick hug before running off to Catherine.

 The Queen stood from the couch and came over to me. “I enjoyed our conversation this morning. I hope you will feel as if you can confide in me. I am aware that this type of life is difficult and having people you can trust makes things much simpler.”