Chapter 38

Jane

I sucked in a breath and slowly paced into Sophia’s room. It was gorgeous and had too much detail to grasp in one glance, but I was distracted by the girl standing in front of me. She was very pretty, but I refused to be intimidated. She wore a nightgown that was flowing elegantly around her petite frame. She had her raven-colored hair in a neat bun on top of her head. Her smile was welcoming, but her eyes looked distressed. Perfect. It took me a moment to notice the page that had brought me in still stood behind me. I could feel his squinted eyes watching my back. I then remembered who I was in the presence of. It was not only a woman I despised, but a woman of royal blood. I curtsied for a moment and Sophia walked towards me. I brought myself back to her height. She dismissed the man with a nod of her head.

“Lady Jane, it’s so wonderful to finally meet you.” She spoke with a slight Spanish accent, but not as heavy as I would have imagined. It only gave her voice a more inviting tone. She must have spent most of her time among English governesses and maids to prepare her for her future.

“Your grace, the honor is all mine.”

Her smile grew and she gestured for me to follow her to a couch on the opposite side of the room.

I began speaking again as we sat. “It is so lovely to put a face to the name that has been said all around court for days.”

Her smile faded. Had I already managed to offend her? “I’m afraid not all of the words of me have been in praise. I have had a difficult few days.”

I shook my head. “Oh, nonsense. People think very highly of you. Servants find you extremely kind… And Matthew. His words have been nothing but praise as well.”

My comment seemed to only insight more tension in her face. Was she conflicted on her feelings? This may be easier than I thought.

“He is so kind to me.” She whispered. “Towards that end, I am so very sorry for the pain that may be inflicted upon you caused by our wedding.” She seemed sincere.

I smiled triumphantly. Enough of the niceties. “The wedding? I may be too late to change it, but I am still confident in my ability to get what I want.”

“And what do you want?” Her eyes assessed me carefully.

“The crown, power, Alexander.”

She registered my words instantly. I watched as she clenched and unclenched her jaw several times. “I don’t believe it is an outrageous assumption that you put them in order of priority.”

I nodded. “You are sweet, and sweet is an easy thing to break. I don’t wish you pain, but I will do what it takes to get what I want.” She opened her mouth, but I knew her next question. “How will I stop your wedding? It’s in 4 days… I won’t stop your precious wedding. I will do as instructed. I will go away for a few months and come back stronger, ready to make your husband want me again. Before you know it, an annulment will be your end.”

Her expression remained the same. I wasn’t sure if she was too stunned to speak or her royal composure helped her find a calm center. I didn’t feel like waiting to find out. I stood up and smirked as I curtsied once again before leaving the room. I felt confident in my speech and even more confident that she wouldn’t mention it to Alexander. As I said, she was sweet, and sweet is easy to break.