Chapter 65

Sophia

As soon as the guards hauled Matthew from my room, Alexander rushed over to me. I was still sitting on my bed, shocked. I couldn’t breathe. I could hear my heart beating in my ears and my hands were shaking.

“Are you alright?” Alexander cooed to me. He sat next to me and held me firmly against his chest.

I was so scared. I would never have expected something like that from Matthew. He had never been so violent. I curled into Alexander and cried. I’m not sure what I was crying about. It may have been fear, but it could have as easily been the loss of Matthew. The Matthew I knew was gone.

Alexander held me tighter. “It’s okay Sophia. I won’t let him hurt you. You’re safe.”

After a few minutes, I snapped out of my daze. Matthew needed help now.

I looked up at Alexander. “What are you going to do with him?”

He clenched his jaw, but patted my hair gently. “I don’t know. But I do know that whatever it is, he will never get near you again.”

I was flustered as I spoke. “No, this isn’t his fault really. I…”

Alexander interrupted me. “No. I heard you. You told him to stop and he didn’t. It doesn’t matter what happened before. The decisions he made were his own. You are a good person, but at some point you need to stop blaming yourself. This was not you doing.”

He was right. As horrible as I was when I played with his heart, he chose to react the way he did. Despite that, I couldn’t save him. I had told my tale and had to  move on. It was up to him.

Alexander kissed my head. “You must be starving. How about I have the servants bring your dinner up to your room? I will join you tonight. First I have to take care of this issue along with a few others.”

I nodded. He gave me a quick kiss before leaving the room. I felt better already. Alexander was a great comforter. His arms felt like the safest place in the world.

Author's Note- I just saw The Fault in Our Stars. I cried more than I did when I read the book. Have any of you seen it yet?