CHAPTER 190- Such A Poor Judgment

"How can I be happy? Michael Eisner have just blackmailed a movie from me." Eric said resignedly.

Although Eric didn't make it explicit, Jeffery knew what he meant: "Then...what does Disney offer?"

Nodding his head, Eric said: "It has not been officially negotiated yet. I just make an oral promise to Michael Eisner."

Jeffery felt relived: "It's just a movie. Anyway, you are a high-producing director. But two days ago I've heard news that Disney will terminate the cooperation with Warner in terms of overseas distribution and transfer all businesses to Buena Vista International, its affiliated company.

"Does it have anything to do with me?" Eric asked, ignoring Jeffery's teasing.

"It certainly does. After stopping cooperating with Warner, Disney's overseas distribution will be in disarray for a while. It may take at least half a year for Buena Vista International to integrate it. If the movie you have promised to authorize Disney to distribute is arranged on the first half of next year, it will possibly become cannon fodder of Buena Vista in its process of expanding the overseas market. The condition will be much better if the movie is released in the second half of next year."

Eric felt confused: "Disney is unlikely to use us as cannon fodder. Don't they want to make profits?"

Putting the handkerchief into his pocket, Jeffery summoned the waiter to send him a gla.s.s a wine and said: "Big companies like Disney does not care about the petty profits from one or two movies, instead they pay more attention to expanding their distribution channels. The influence you've accumulated around the world in your previous movies is the best tool for them to expand their distribution channels. Taking advantage of your movies, Disney will sacrifice some interest to overseas distributors to make things much easier for them, thereby establishing new distribution channels in several countries after distributing a movie. Compared with those channels that can create long-term profits, it is not even a big deal to give some benefits to others."

Eric nodded his head. Disney used his movies to pave the way for expanding the overseas market and it will surely suffer a great loss in overseas box office due to the imperfect distribution channel. Disney could expand the overseas channels through this way, but he and Firefly could get nothing from it. Although the percentage of revenue sharing in overseas market was not high, his previous movies had pocketed more than 10 million US dollars in overseas box office. He would not help Disney in sacrifice of his own interest unless Disney could make up for losses.

Fully understanding the situation, Eric made up his mind and then asked: "Jeffery, I remember you've just said you can't reach an agreement with Robert Shea. What do you mean?"

"There is no need for negotiation anymore. Robert Shea insists on giving him 15% of shares and 60 million US dollars in cash. He won't make a concession anymore and that's why I hurriedly come inquiring about your decision."

Eric thought for a moment and asked: "Are you sure this is his bottom line?"

Jeffery nodded: "Certainly. He clearly expressed that this is the bottom line and he won't compromise anymore. And..." Jeffery smiled a strange smile: "He stresses that he won't accept your invitation of having a meeting with him unless you accept his conditions."

"Hmm...this," Eric felt confused.

Jeffery laughed and explained: "When you have dinner with him for the first time, your speech might give him an impression so strong that he can't help but retreat when thinking of meeting you again. I suppose that is the reason. Though I don't attend the meeting that time, Robert Shea makes a big concession due to your persuasive rhetoric, doesn't he?