CHAPTER 5 - CONDITION

In a cafe located in northern Hollywood, Eric and Michael were discussing about Jurassic Park in detail.

Eric had already successfully negotiated a dividend of 7% for the royalties fees. The negotiations encountered problems when it came to the movie and television copyrights.

Michael was an old fox of the publishing circle, there was no way he wouldn't be able to tell the potential this book would have once it were to be adapted into a screenplay. Eric didn't raise any objection to his share of the dividend and this made Michael feel that he was indeed very young and inexperienced, therefore he proposed that his The Night Elves publishing company handle the movie and television rights, while they would both share the profits.

Hearing Michael's proposal, Eric bluntly refused: "That's impossible, Mr. Klaus."

Michael Klaus was somewhat taken aback by Eric's decisive refusal, but he quickly composed himself and said: "Eric, listen to me, when the 20th Century Fox wanted to buy the movie and TV rights for the author I previously told you about, I was the one who negotiated with them and we made over one million in profits. If the issue had been handled by the author, he might not even have made 500,000 dollars, that's the difference between an individual and a publishing house."

The two of them kept discussing for more than ten minutes, Michael kept enticing Eric, even taking the initiative to lower his own share of the copyrights dividend.

In the end, Michael Klaus discovered to his disappointment that this kid was nothing like a greenhorn, he was more like a well-honed shark who had dipped into troubled waters for years. Although he wasn't that familiar with their publishing circle, he was able to make keen and accurate guesses about the ins and outs of the industry.

What made Michael even more surprised was that this young man was not like any impulsive youngster his age. Although he had discovered Michael's intentions, he did not bluntly point it out, but subtly implied that he had instead.

Michael smiled bitterly and finally gave up on the Jurassic Park movie and television copyrights.

The following negotiations went smoothly, and the both of them quickly signed a contract.

"Happy partnership Eric, you will definitely not regret letting me take care of Jurassic Park." After signing the contract, Michael went back to his gentle and docile demeanor, as if his astute and cunning earlier manners were nothing but an illusion.

"Happy partnership Michael, I also hope so."

The two of them shook hands, sat back down and started chatting when Eric casually brought up: "Michael, from your personal connections, is there anyone from a film company ?"

Michael's eyebrows jumped: "Of course ! Otherwise, how do you suppose I recommended that other novel to 20th Century Fox ? I also have several other connections in other film companies you know. When I was still working at Simon & Schuster I was once responsible for handling those things. That's why Eric, if you let The Night Elves handle the Jurassic Park's movie and TV rights, I can directly recommend your book to producers from six different companies."

Eric shook his head and said: "Let's not bring this issue up again, Michael. I won't give up the slightest bit of the Jurassic Park copyrights. Right now I am completing a script, and if possible, I hoped that you could help by recommending it."

Having his ignited hopes extinguished once again, Michael wasn't that interested in Eric's script, but out of politeness he patiently asked: "Could you tell me a bit about it ?"

"It goes like this," Eric reorganized his train of thoughts: "18 years ago, 17-year-old Mike O'Donnell will soon participate in the most important basketball game of his life. As long as he does well, he will get a scholarship and a clean pass to the Ivy League. However, before the start of the game, his girlfriend Scarlett tells him that she is pregnant. On his way to the stadium, Mike discards the basketball in his hands, and decides to shoulder his own responsibilities as he leaves the athletic field resolutely. 18 years later, time has passed and his glory has faded, Mike has become a middle-aged man full of regrets, and his marriage with Scarlet is on the verge of collapse..."

Eric didn't go into the details but briefly narrated the story. After witnessing Mr. and Mrs. Runkle's quarrel that day, he had immediately thought about the movie 17 Again. A 17 year-old body with the soul of a middle-aged man, wasn't this simply tailor-made for him ?

Michael Klaus' eyes became increasingly brighter, he very much liked Eric, he had just barely obtained Jurassic Park that this lad was giving him another pleasant surprise.

The travel in time type of movies had just been introduced a few years back and although their popularity was increasing, as of now, the market for them was pitifully sparse. Therefore as long as the movie was good, it would make a satisfying box office.

Not to mention the 1985 blockbuster Back To The Future, this year alone, two movies from the same genre had been very well received. One was 18 again, after being screened for two weeks, they had already made twice their initial budget. Another one that made it to the box office with a final benefit of over a hundred million dollars was BIG. This movie also made Penny Marshall into the first ever female director to have passed the hundred million mark in North America.

"It's a good story, Eric. But did you know that those kind of scripts are a dime a dozen nowadays ? Not even mentioning the fact that you're a bonafide unknown fledgling." In order to gain the upper hand during the negotiations, Michael put back on his cunning fox mask. He had just been wallowing in frustration thanks to the Jurassic Park movie and television copyrights negotiation, so this was his chance to make a comeback.

Eric smiled faintly, how could he not see through what Michael was thinking ? He stretched out five fingers and straightforwardly said: "50% commission !"

"What ?!" Michael was stunned.

Eric said: "Michael, you didn't mishear me, if the script sells successfully, I will give you 50% of the benefits as commission. However, I have a condition."

Sure enough, there is no such thing as a free lunch in this world, Michael heard Eric's last sentence and sighed at how this little guy had him wrapped around his little finger.

"What is it ?"

"I want to star as the leading role, as young Mike O'Donnell."

"That's impossible." Michael immediately said: "Even the film director might not necessarily have the power to make decisions concerning the casting, not to mention you, a rookie writer."

"You know there is a saying, that man proposes and God disposes." Eric said: "Without giving it a shot, how would you know it's impossible ? Also, with BIG's release, the chances for it to happen went up a notch."

Michael Klaus was taken aback and he could not help but ask: "What does this have to do with BIG ?"

Eric casually stirred his cup of coffee with his spoon and replied: "I think that movie is likely to pass the hundred million dollars mark at the box office, and if I'm right, someone might consider taking a look at a script with the same genre and a storyline that does not lose out in the slightest."

Michael hadn't seen BIG, but he didn't doubt Eric's words and said: "Alright, Eric, I will try, so about the commission..."

"Michael, you greedy old man, look at you trying to get more out of this than I, the author himself !"

Michael scratched his nose in embarrassment: "Hey don't say that, even if you are to be cast as a rookie actor, your salary wouldn't be any less than 500,000$. When it comes to the script, it could already be considered good if we got 200,000$."

Although he said that, Michael didn't really raise the matter of the commission again. When they were about to part outside the coffee shop he suddenly said: "Actually, Eric, I can't help but think that you would truly suit the role of your script's lead. When we were discussing the contract, I felt like I was negotiating with those old foxes, not an 18-year-old high-school student."

Eric smiled: "Don't mind the details Michael, I'll give you the script in two days, I hope you'll be able to bring me some good news."