54: Driving - The Jinn

Vote and comment x

- KING'S POV -

"Are you ready, baby?" I smiled, taking my car keys out of the tray on the entry hall dresser.

"Please, King, this is completely unnecessary." She begged, frowning at me, her lips pouted adorably and her hands joined together in a pleading motion.

"I disagree. Yallah, let's go." I spoke, opening the door and gesturing her out first. She stomped her feet in annoyance and groaned, looking into the mirror quickly to lift the part of her jilbab that was sitting under her chin to make it a niqab.

Today was finally the day that I was taking up A'ishah on my promise to teach her how to drive.

According to her, driving was completely pointless. On the contrary, I firmly believed that what had happened the last time she took the bus was evidence enough that driving was 110% necessary.

We both got into the car and I saw her knees bouncing nervously while I drove to somewhere that was secluded. There was a newly expanding suburb only ten minutes from our home with no current residents so I decided it would be best to go there since they had only mapped out the roads so far. No houses, no schools...absolutely nothing to smash into besides the curb...inshaaAllah that doesn't happen either though.

I parked the car and smirked at her.

"Babe, are you sure about this?" She mumbled to me, her voice shaky as she took in a deep breath.

"More than ever. Look around us, A'ishah. There's nothing you can crash into. It's going to be fine inshaaAllah." I told her, trying my best to calm her nerves as I got out of the driver seat and walked around to pull her door open. "Out you get." I spoke, holding her hand as she stepped out and unwillingly rounded the car to take her seat in the drivers side.

"بِسْـمِ الله، بِسْـمِ الله، بِسْـمِ الله، الْحَمْـدُ لله، سُـبْحانَ الّذي سَخَّـرَ لَنا هذا وَما كُنّا لَهُ مُقْـرِنين، وَإِنّا إِلى رَبِّنا لَمُنـقَلِبون"
She recited beneath her breath and I laughed loudly.

[Transliteration: Bismillah, Bismillah, Bismillah, Alhamdu lillah, subhanal-lathi sakh-khara lana hadha wa ma kunna lahu muqrinin, wa 'inna 'ila Rabbina lamunqalibun.
Translation: With the Name of Allah, with the Name of Allah, with the name of Allah. Praise is to Allah. Glory is to Him Who has provided this for us though we could never have had it by our efforts. Surely, unto our Lord we are returning.
This isn't the full dua. You can find the full one online inshaaAllah]

"How do you even know the dua for driving when you don't drive?"

"For moments like this." She muttered, narrowing her eyes as she huffed at me. I chuckled and put my seatbelt on, instructing her to do the same.

She adjusted her seat, bringing it forward since her legs weren't as long as mine.

"Are your mirrors okay?" I asked her and after looking at the side mirrors, she adjusted the rearview, tilting it a little lower before releasing a quick breath.

"Okay, seat adjusted, seatbelt on, mirrors checked, du'a recited...You're ready to roll, baby." I smirked at her. She pulled her niqab down since there was absolutely no one here.

"I don't feel ready at all." She muttered.

"You're going to be fine, habibti. I'm right here, okay?"

"Okay, I trust you. What's first?" She spoke finally and I smiled.

"Alright, so you always check if the car is in gear before you turn it on." I spoke after clearing my throat and I barely finished my sentence before she cut me off.