42: Matchmaking - Hasad

- KING'S POV -

"A'ishah, your phone!" I called out as I heard it ring for the second time, the tone echoing around the room as I typed some files up for my dad.

The phone eventually stopped ringing and I sighed. I loved working in silence. All my life I had been someone who got distracted very quickly, so working in my dads office amongst the colleagues was always tough for me. I preferred to be in my own space, working away quietly to myself with no distractions.

For a third time the phone began to ring and I exhaled through my nose, rubbing my forehead. "A'ishah!" I yelled. "Babe, your phone!"

Finally I heard the soft patter of her feet running down the hallway. "I'm sorry, I was praying." She said, the phone call ending once again.

"I get that, babe. But I'm trying to work." I told her, continuing to type.

"Okay, sorry." She replied. "Do you need help?" She came up behind me and wrapped her arms around my shoulders, placing her chin near my neck. I felt her breathing close to my ear which eased me a little.

"No, love. I'm okay. Who was calling?" I asked instead.

"Ayman." She answered. "I'll go call him back now." She kissed me on the cheek and with that she walked back down the hall, leaving my side to call her brother.

I continued working for a while before I heard A'ishah's voice getting louder.

Ayman and A'ishah never argued. Ever.

With my fingers pausing their movements, hovering over the keyboard, I turned my head, trying to make out what she was saying but it was to no avail. I couldn't hear her clear enough.

It had only been four days since we had left the getaway house with just A'ishah and I. We obviously had to return to our normal routines. Although it wasn't as bad since I was now working day shift meaning we had quickly fallen into a perfect routine.

I had been working day shift for two weeks now and I couldn't have been happier. In the mornings, A'ishah would wake up and prepare breakfast. I would wake up 20 minutes after her, shower, get changed, and then we would have breakfast together. I would leave for work while she spent her day cooking, cleaning, or going to her halaqah's or to spend time at the masjid. By nightfall, I would get home, we would eat dinner together, chat about our day and for the rest of the night, we could decide what we wanted to do or where we wanted to go.

This is what I had been craving since I had started the night shift job, now that I had it, alhamdulillah, I would not complain about anything.

I saved the document and put the screen of my laptop down, getting off the chair and making my way to the bedroom where her voice was coming from - with much more clarity now.

"I did not know it would make you this angry, Ayman, please stop screaming." She pleaded right as I pushed open the door, my eyes narrowed.

She turned around at the sound and I saw her glossy eyes, her cheeks glistening.

What on earth.

"What's going on?" I asked, but she shook her head. Ayman's voice was shouting from the other end making my blood boil.

I get that he was her brother and probably even cared for her just as much as I did, if not more, but that didn't mean I was supposed to let him yell at her like this.