10: Research - Umar ibn Al Khattab RA

--- K I N G ---

"What's that?" A voice said behind me and I locked my phone quickly, putting it onto the table and glaring at Peter who laughed.

"What are you doing? Sexting someone in broad daylight?" He smirked at me as he sat on the table across from me. No. I was reading about the marriage between Khadijah and Muhammad.

"Yeah." I said, plastering a fake smirk on my face that he clearly believed as he wiggled his eyebrows, reaching over and taking an apple from my tray, as my heart beat slowed to its normal pace. I couldn't imagine his reaction if he had actually seen what I was reading about.

"So there's a party tonight and you're coming whether you like it or not. The squad hasn't felt complete in nearly a month." He said as he bit the apple and chewed it loudly.

"I've got plans." I said simply, not feeling in the mood to go to a party. Hell, I haven't felt in the mood to go to a party in weeks. Ever since I first stepped foot in the masjid something within me had changed but I ignored and overlooked it until the day I visited my mum. Now I was trying to get to the bottom of what I was feeling.

"No way." He scoffed. "Cancel them. We're going out. You need some women, man. You've been moping around like an old man for three weeks."

Three weeks. Three weeks of non stop reading and research. Had it really been three weeks? If I wasn't at home reading the books Ahmad gave me, I was reading on my phone from the internet. It was crazy how infatuated I was with the idea of Islam. I never thought I'd be in this situation before.

"I'm good." I said but he shook his head and laughed as if he knew I'd come out. I wasn't. I was almost finished reading the tafsir of the whole Qur'an and I wanted to finish it as soon as possible to see what the next step waiting for me was.

||||

"Yes, Linda?" I asked as I heard her knocking on the door. The handle jiggled but the door was locked. "I said 'yes Linda' not come in, for God's sake." I muttered loudly, making sure she heard me.

"Sorry, sir. My apologies." She cleared her throat and I asked her what she wanted. "Your friends are here to see you."

I clenched my jaw and shut the tafsir, sliding it into my drawer before pulling the door open and storming down the stairs, seeing Peter, Tyler and Jackson standing in the lobby, laughing at something while my dad spoke.

"I told you I'm not coming, Peter." I muttered angrily, glaring at my father who seemed to look very smug as he looked up at me.

"I think you should go. You've been cooped up in your room for weeks. This isn't like you. Go, I'm giving you permission." My dad spoke and I looked at the boys who seemed to be very proud of themselves as if they had just managed to convince my dad to let me go out.

"Since when did I ever even need your permission." I replied back distastefully, narrowing my eyes at him. I don't know why he was being so friendly with my friends to their faces when in reality he actually disliked them very much.

"Well, this time I'm kicking you out. I have colleagues coming for dinner and the last thing I need is for you to make a scene or give a snarky comment at dinner." He said to me and then it made sense. He was probably grateful that the boys had showed up hence why he was acting so friendly.